AV Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DX2, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

What other AV's run in the memory like ESET?

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

All of them.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do you mean load the whole of the signatures in memory?

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No not all. One that doesn't is Avast afaik. Their RAM usage should be higher if they did.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hard to say exactly, but Ikarus does last I heard, and Emsisoft AM according to Fabian W.

But I do think there are more, but far from all AVs unfortunately.

Though you can exclude the AV's wich are heavily cloud based like Qihoo, Baidu, Panda Cloud, WSA, BD Free, Immunet...that don't have a lot of local stuff to load into the RAM.

But I am sure others can provide info on more vendors, hopefully :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. DX2

DX2 Guest

Thank you,

You understand what I'm saying. I just know of ESET that does this.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'm pretty sure Kaspersky does.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Someone mentioned that Kaspersky used around 250 MB on their system, so if that usage is consistent as in it always uses around the same amount, then yes we can probably include Kaspersky in this group too. But I don't know if that is the case for sure though.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You're welcome, maybe we should have a list of AV's that's designed like this, so users that like or are looking for AV's that's designed this way can just check the vendors on the list and test one or some of them out. So users looking for them can skip those that doesn't.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  11. guest

guest Guest

It's pretty easy to determine it actually. If at least one of the services shows high RAM usage (like >100MB) in the long run then the AV loads the signatures in the memory. If it only shows a few MB (less than 20MB, commonly less than 10MB), then the AV fools hides the reality from us.

12. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

When I've used Kaspersky I've seen it at around 130 mb.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Some AVs can use 300+ MB one second and then drop to 20MB, these AVs does not have its modules and sigs loaded in the RAM all the time, wich is what we are talking about. And the benefit of having a list with AVs that does this, is that you don't need to install the AV/s to find this out.

14. guest

guest Guest

Which can break the rule. :p

15. Taliscicero

You strongly misunderstand how computers works. Try running anything in a computer with no ram. Have fun.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Maybe they have optimized some things engine and/or database etc.. and made it smaller wich in return could lower the RAM usage even if everything still is loaded into the RAM (if they still do, or ever did), but then again I have no clue in this case about Kaspersky.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Or you misunderstood the question, or not.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry, What rule exactly? :)

19. guest

guest Guest

Aw c'mon SweX, as a massive poster you shouldv'e known about the no A vs B rule for AVs. That list could have a potential to touch that area. :blink:

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I fail to see that actually, as we don't compare the actual protection between them, and don't talk about wich one that have the best this or that. It's more like an category, like you would make a list of only Cloud Based AV's, Only Free AVs etc etc (not comparing only informing) then one should be able to do the same about the category "everything loaded into the RAM" or whatever, I figure.

But then again I am not requesting a list like that, it is only a suggestion. But with a list like that the OP(and everyone that are wondering) could have found their answer very easy. :doubt:

21. guest

guest Guest

Well, if it only lists AVs that load signatures in RAM and nothing else, then I agree with you.

22. Taliscicero

Swex, I understand the question. AV's or any program in the windows environment, linux or osx requires memory use. If he is asking what other AV's run in memory like ESET the answer would be all of them, as they all run in memory, as does ESET. Its clearly critical to them working just as any other software in a computer environment requires memory, so do AV's.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Mhm.... This is NOT about whether certain AVs use the RAM, or does not use the RAM. All AV's do, I/we know that.

24. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

SweX is on to something though. ESET runs crazy light on my machine (I have plenty of RAM) and I think it has to do with loading more than the other AV's into RAM. Webroot loads nothing into RAM and yet my browsers are slow to close. Maybe it has to do with CPU usage being used vs RAM usage? The AV can have 300 mb of RAM if that's what it takes to get rid of the 'lag'.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

ESET is the only product I know of, but that does not mean it is the only one. Most probably don't though. This is what happens when everyone complains that they "think" a product is heavy because it uses RAM. The vendors page it all out to hide RAM usage. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.