av/fw security suites that block ads?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Your verbal attacks at me and all Norton products does not shock me in the slightest bit. Your personal attacks should be put towards something useful, other than trying to get into a pissing contest with a stranger. Your anger should be vented towards something more constructive. If you are using this forum to vent your frustrations of real-world problems, then I hope I have made you feel better. Until then, please stop these personal attacks. They only get threads closed and at the end of the day that is not much to brag about! Have a nice day

2. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

~Comment removed~ I was commenting on what you posted.
    I think you'll find Norton Home products are reviled by techies alll over the world - they are the McDonalds of the security software industry.
    You mentioned Firefox. I suggested that your experience of it being resource heavy with those AdBlock extensions was not widespread. Creating a new test profile, then just backing up bookmarks and passwords and then adding those extensions is a standard diagnostic.
    If you don't want your Firefox to block ads *and* run smoothly, then just ignore the advice and make up stories about personal animosity. It's your life.:rolleyes:

NB: this is the second thread - the other you apologised because you made an attack on my advice having not understood it, or the programs in question - where we have crossed posts. I suggest it is your imagination running wild if you think anyone is attacking you personally, rather then just commenting on your, sometimes inaccurate, posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Safe 'n' Sec has an ad blocking module too.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Indeed, but to be more precise: Adblock Plus - the Adblock (without Plus) extension still exists but is outdated.

5. StevieE9

If you scroll up a bit for posts *days ago* you will find that AdBlock Plus (and Filterset G auto updater) were actually mentioned, so the original poster and anyone else reading will be aware of them.

As here:

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Yup, that was my idea, but I got lazy writing the plus ... go figure, now I'm excusing myself with 10 times more letters than I originally needed :)
    Mrk

7. tlu

tlu Guest

And as mentioned very often here in this forum, it is not recommended to use Filterset.G with Adblock Plus - see this remark by the developer of Adblock Plus.

8. StevieE9

Thanks for that and I will investigate to see if that is the case but that combo has been recommended by Firefox Support Forum Moderators and experienced users for some time. Having read your useful link, I can see why FSG is n longer recommended. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw, I saw that the new Outpost Pro firewall can block "invisible iframes", if I´m correct these are often used in exploits, so my question is, would this be a good extra protection? And is this something new or are other ad blockers already offering the same? I can´t remember I ever saw this feature in other tools but I do know that ZA Pro and Admuncher can block so called web-bugs.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

IE7pro has a very basic iframe blocker.

11. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Forget the security suites.

I recently tested a few specialized ad/popup blockers.
    Finally found Superadblocker !
    http://www.superadblocker.com/

From the makers of Superantispyware (also included ;-).
    This one was the only one that worked on almost all flash and picture ads.
    Also blocked the most pop-ups.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

I don't know which browser you use - but if it's Firefox/Seamonkey/K-Meleon that's a waste of money ($29.95!). The Adblock Plus extension is simply excellent with various highly efficient filter lists that are permanently updated - and it's free :)

13. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Can you use Ad Block Plus with K-Meleon or is that just an extension of FF?
    Just curious because both browsers use the same engine, although K-Meleon has a flash blocking/ad blocking feature itself found under the Content Filtering section of the browser.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

15. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

16. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Using IE 7 and FF 2.0.0.7.
    Works fine with me. BTW you also get superantispyware for the 29,95.
    Test on www.astalavista.box.sk (showing all kind of ads / popups).

Try for yourself !

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The quero toolbar claims to block iframes. I used it for a short while and noticed that it did a very nice job at bloacking ads. But the quero toolbar is not exactly eye candy. I had it hid all the time I was using it. But it seemed to do a better job at blocking ads than ie7pro.

http://www.quero.at/

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

best ad blocker is ad-muncher

19. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Before I switched to Look'n'Stop I used to use the inbuilt ad blocker on Kerio. Now I use Ad-Muncher. I've tried a few others, but nothing else works as well for me. I'd say get the firewall or av for its own inherent qualities, and run a separate ad blocker such as Ad-Muncher.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Online Armor (www.tallemu.com) also has the capability to block ads. It's website module lists all websites, when you surf, and you can just block the ones for ads.

Pete

21. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I tried Superadblocker for a while, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Opera, my preferred browser. If I used FireFox or IE then I'd seriously consider SAB since I am a fan of SAS. SAB includes SAS I think, so is combined anti-malware and ad filter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.