AV for newbie

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kloshar, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Which antivirus is the best for an user, who don't know anything about antivirus software? It has to be user-friendly, not complicated for use and good.

Regards.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AVG free is easy to use. I think they sometimes have update problems on their servers. Very simple interface. It doesn't drag your computer down to a crawl.
    You might get some false positives every now and then.
    I've used it in the past.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

AntiVir Personal used to be a fair AV, but is hopefully a bit better now that heuristics have been added. It is said that it gives large numbers of false positives, but I've used it for quite a while, and haven't had a single one. (Perhaps it depends on your operating system, I really have no idea.) Pretty easy to configure, and everthing is in pretty plain English. Just remember that this is not a standalone AV, or even a genuinely good one. You'll want to use F-Prot for DOS as a backup, in case things get past AntiVir. (Don't worry about screwups caused by 2 resident protection programs, because F-Prot, being a crippled free version, doesn't have any resident protection.)

Speaking of which, F-Prot has a pretty easy-to-use interface. Manual upgrades can be annoying, though, so you might want to download an application called F-Pup. Run the installer to install F-Pup and F-Prot to a directory of your choice. F-Prot is the AV; F-Pup (FP-UP.exe) is a sort of add-on (best phrase I can think of at the moment - sorry) that allows you to download updates without going to the F-Prot website.

Oh yeah, and some advice on F-Prot and F-Pup: the "Paranoid" option really does make the program paranoid. Very paranoid.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

F-Prot for DOS is not crippled. It is a fully functional DOS scanner.

If you are using XP and the NTFS file system, DOS is not an option unless you use third party programs. Even then, it is scan only, no disinfection.

Link:http://www.avdisk.org/pages/about.html

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Thanks for the corrections, Ronjor.

Btw, I suggest staying away from Avast. It takes up an appreciable amount of RAM and HD space, and the only heuristics it has are for mail scanning.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Avast. I used it in the past. It too, has become too invasive and overbearing on a system. :) JMHO!

7. kloshar

Hi! Thanx for the answers.

Avast is very complicated, I know that. So I want to stay away from it.

AVG ... people say it isn't very good.

AntiVir ... when it found virus, it open such dos-based windows and offer you what to do with file. This can be realy confusing.

Any other possibilities?

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Easy to use commercial AV programs for newbies which I have personally used and recommend include NOD, KAV 5 and F-prot for Windows.

1. NOD, easy to set up, very little effect on system resources and easy to schedule automatic updates and scans. Can run with default settings but here are some recommended ones;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21171

As a newbie you would receive a lot of help here at Wilders.

2. KAV 5, just released but seems relatively stable ( on my systems anyway). Easy to use GUI and again it will give you good protection with the default settings. Again has a good support forum, this time over here;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=40aee7e35b7affff;act=SC;c=1

3. F-Prot for Windows, again can run it 'straight from the box' and easy to set up scans and updates to work in the background. A little more information here;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10006

I have used these scanners at one time or another on my children's computers. Like most kids they are not interested in the in's and out's of malware protection but simply want something to run in the background, which apparently protects the machine but which does not affect their more usual activities on their boxes.

Check out some of the suggestions you receive here, trial a few then select the one that suits you and your system the best.

9. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

"Out of the box" + "newbie-simple" = Norton

10. kloshar

What about quality? :rolleyes: Norton doesn't have it. :)

11. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Try eTrust. These's an EZ version for home users.
    It's free through the Microsoft-CA deal and it's up to the job.

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Echo that http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

13. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Panda has an offer for a free version of Panda AV Platinum 7, complete with a year of free updates (after that, you have to register it again or something). Be warned, though, that a) it comes with its own firewall (and mediocre one, from what I've heard) and b) it hogs more RAM than Avast. I've also heard that it has some false positive problems, but I've yet to see for myself.

As for AVG: it's really the only free AV with all the standard features, but from what I've heard, the detection rate is a tad below average.

And for AntiVir, I can provide some DOS-screen translations:

"Move" = quarantine, i.e. move to the quarantine directory, where the offending file cannot be accessed.

"Rename" = change the file's extension so that it cannot be accessed.

"Delete" = delete file. Note that this does not move the file to the Recycle Bin, it just deletes the file and overwrites it. Be very careful with this.

"Ignore" = ignore file. Chances are, you won't want to do this.

If you don't have AntiVir set to repair infected files automatically, I think another one, "Repair", will also be shown. But I'm not sure about this, Ill have to check it out.

To select on of the above actions, press the key for the highlited letter in the word.

To test your AV, go to
    the Eicar AV test website, read what it says, and click on "Eicar.com". If your AV says it detected the Eicar signature virus, it's in working order. Don't worry about the "virus", as it's not a real one.

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I agree with the Cat here, except for KAV. Although KAV is a great AV with wonderful detection--IMO it's a bit too new to recommend to newbies at this point--but that's my opinion only. F-PROT and NOD32 are great choices for lightweight, easy-to-use AV's that work great "out of the box", and are excellent choices.
    ;)

15. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend F-Prot for Windows on XP to newbies, as there is no final action on any detection in the RTM. The next version yes, but not as it is now. (I'm assuming "newbie" is specifying they won't run on-demand)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.