AV + firewall (freeware) needed for old pc!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Birdman, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I used it on '98, and would have gladly paid (as a time-saver) to get rid of that crud! I think they realize that, too!

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont think that program is to remove McAfee products. McAfee Uninstaller is an old product for cleaning your computer iirc.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I agree completely. This will certainly come into play when considering if I should put it on PC 2. I have this question in another thread. :(

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Have not seen test for it, but the new version of PC Tools AV is super light.

6. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

Right? PC Tools AV has high cpu usage and badly slows down my pc.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Are you using version 3.1 or 3.6? 3.1 was heavy, while 3.6 is much lighter.

8. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Win 98 and 98 SE are subrecursive, and are therefore the incontestibly safest systems running today. ANY AV with ANY safe browser/email app and antispyware app -- WinPatrol SpyBot TeaTimer, etc. -- will protect 98 even if the person at the PC is not a safe surfer but takes care in not reading spam or not downloading and installing well-known destructive apps. Win 98 will be here for a very long time, and recall that SpyBot went back to supporting Win 95! Old PC's are here to stay.

Dave

9. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Sorry to double post. ScripTrap, Script Defender etc., are good in stopping a great many unwanted critters, and BugOff is also a VERY good product. Use any therse with light AV + resource-light firewall. All shall be well.

Dave

10. 19monty64

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

This may seem off the wall, but a Win 9x machine should not be connected to the internet. The OS is that insecure and no amount of add on programs will change that.

Put Ubuntu on the box, its free and will run a heck of a lot better than Win 9x on an old machine.

If he must run Windows, I would look for an old version of Zone Alarm free firewall, probably 4.5. The three well known free AV's are AVG, Avira and Avast. Try all and see which one works best.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

of those three free av's they don't all support win98 anymore. I would be sure to check the sys requirments before downloading and installing one.

Attached Files:

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That is too late for me. When the DAT files would no longer update my old program version, it was so long to McAfee. :'(

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see how one could go wrong using Win98 with a router and a compatible AV.. assuming the user is reasonably intelligent about things.. :)

15. 19monty64

Win98 has survived many new OS'es and continues to have a loyal following. Because it accounts for less than 1% of the OS'es, it's not the target of a lot of attacks. Router, AV and alternate browser is about all it needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.