AV Defnitions from local server with fallback to ESET

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GDR, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDR

GDR Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm setting up NOD32 to a company that has Windows SBS Server, various Windows XP/Vista/7 clients, and some of those are on the road travelling most of the time.

Since I'm not on site all the time, I can't use the push install. No problem, I set up a Group Policy to deploy NOD32; this works well, and even picks up the settings in the cfg.xml, so the clients report bac to the Remote Admin Console installed on the server.

My issue is that, since I have set up the policy to collect AV updates from the local server, the travelling laptops will fail to update their definitions until they connect to the internal network. What I want is a way to tell the clients to try and collect AV updates from the local server, but to fall back to the ESET servers if the local is unavailable.

ESET support have suggested setting up a second policy and pushing it to the clients. This is no good, because I'm not there to push it when the laptops occasionally return to the office and connect.

ESET support also sent me a link to (http://kb.eset.eu/esetkb/index?page...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1264977124803) but when I tried this, only the first policy was being picked up by the clients.

So, in summary, the clients have NOD32 v4.0.474.0 installed. They picked up the custom settings in cfg.xml at the time of install. They are reporting to the remote administration server (every 10 minutes), and if I make a change to the default "Server Policy", they pick up those changes next time they connect. All I need is a way of collecting updates from the ESET update servers if the local server is unavailable (e.g. the laptop is off-site but connected to the internet).
    I'm happy to settle for the machines checking for a local server every hour, and checking the ESET servers every 4 hours. I can't create a second repeating job because ID64 (which tells the scheduler to repeat the task) is already in use to check the local server, and it won't let me create another task with the same ID.

ESET support only seem to know how to actively push a second profile to a client. They can't suggest a method that I set, leave, and clients collect when next connected. As soon as I mentioned Group Policy, they said it was an ESET EU matter and are now just forwarding my emails, and ESET EU's replies.

I'm hoping for someone that has been here and done it; ESET support in Australia haven't, and don't know how to make it work, and hence I just keep getting told to refer to the ERA user guide (which I have checked multiple times).

Sorry if this has been covered. I tried searching and couldn't find anything that explained this.

Cheers,
    Gary

2. elmolincoln

elmolincoln Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.