AV-Comparatives Explains the Implications of Takeovers in the IT-Security Industry

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Minimalist, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.av-comparatives.org/av-...ons-of-takeovers-in-the-it-security-industry/

2. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

There is a really nice chart in this article providing a timetable of company takeovers of other security software companies. Very useful.

avpic.JPG

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It would have been interesting that in addition to confirming that AVG and Avast had identical results, that they also confirmed or denied that protection has improved after the takeover.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, it was a nice chart. A couple of comments, M$ bought Giant but it didn't improve anything, it wasn't until they launched Win 10 when Win Defender became a serious contender. Of course this was only because they were trying to cross-sell Win Defender ATP to large companies.

Sophos buying Invincea was interesting to me because of Sandboxie, but seems they wanted to get their hands on the AV part which was based on machine learning, it wasn't about sandboxing. That's why they also bought SurfRight, to add exploit protection.

Intel buying McAfee was a huge mistake. And it was no surprise that companies like CarbonBlack, enSilo, Endgame and Cylance were all acquired, because the so called EDR security market is very lucrative. Although Cylance was a gamble because they didn't perform that well in the beginning, but I'm sure they have improved the product.

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Then I guess you don't remember Microsoft Security Essentials being one of the best AVs in the industry during earlier windows versions.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

AFAIK, it was one of the crappiest AV's in terms of protection and speed? I remember that it always scored low on AV tests, just like Malwarebytes back in the days.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Me too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.