AV-comparative February2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Hello,

very soon (now) I will upload the results of the February2005 comparative (www.av-comparatives.org). :cool:

Regards,
    IBK

2. .....

..... Registered Member

Great! Thanks :D

Suprise that symantec beat macafee

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

THANK YOU!!

Acadia

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Norton got over 98% - what is going on here!!

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! ... and I just dumped Norton for McAfee!! :oops:

Acadia

6. .....

..... Registered Member

:D

Remember this is just ONE test, others show macafee is better than norton. However both products are excellent.

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I would like that peoples understand that little differences in percentages does not make that great difference. That is the sense I introduced the standard, advanced and advanced+ levels. McAfee and Symantec both have advanced+, so they are on the same level. etc.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, so what is Norton version 11? Is that the same as 2005?

Acadia

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Wow, Symantec made a good step forward ;)... Kaspersky is still top of the bill, and McAfee seems stable in their results...
    I still feel safe with my F-Secure, but I keep an eye on Symantec AntiVirus Corporate, they will release version 10 in march... Many university students can get it for free :)

McAfee is stable in their results again, and their Enterprise VirusScan remains a nice product...
    I'm a little dissapointed in Avast!, I thought they would preform better :(

Thanks for the test again :)

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes sir..

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some interesting results here;

NOD continues to improve in trojan/backdoor detection and just about on par now, if not better, with some of the usually quoted AV programs for both virus and trojan detection.

As a number of us have already stated, Norton AV is very good for malware detection and definitely not as bad as a lot of Norton bashers state on this forum.

12. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

Please help me to make my decision, Since I am not as experienced with these companies as perhaps some of you are also I am not a computer expert as some of you guys probably are.

I have narrowed my list of Anti-Virus companies to these:

1. Kaspersky 5 personal pro
    2. Mcafee 9.0 personal pro
    3. Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005
    4. ArcaVir 2005

I am looking for an Anti-Virus that has excellent detection, no major system slowdowns, if firewall present have the option of not installing or turning it off, I have my own firewall (Zone Alarm), I would prefer an Anti-Spam program be included, My main computer is a Dell XPS with Pentium 4 (3.4MHZ Extreme Processor), 2048 MB RAM, I have Norton GoBack 4.0, Ghost 9.0 and Acronis True Image just in case of any major problems.

Does anybody know why AV-Comparatives removed Panda from their tests?

I posted this additional question in another forum but if anybody here knows here it is.

does anybody know what version of mcafee aol is using?

i see it says 8.0 does that mean they are using last years version? or are they using the enterprise version?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

because in the year 2004 a condition was broken by Panda. For respect to the Panda company, the real reason is not told publicly. Panda will very probably be reincluded in the year 2006.

14. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

IBK,

does anybody know if it was something major (cheating, etc.), or something insignificant

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

On-Demand only. On-Access is much worse (it doesn't detect any riskware or spyware).

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

As I just told, I will not tell the reason to the public. In my eyes major enough to exclude them for one year. But this decision does not have effect to the results for Panda of the year 2004.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

RejZor, hi. Am I blind, where are you seeing that!?

Acadia

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Folks, we have to respect IBK's decision not to go public with this information. :blink:

Acadia

19. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Please note that in this test riskware and spyware are not included, so, in this test, they would have probably the same detection rates in on-demand and on-access.

20. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Nice work

21. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

to bs529

I use Arcavir 2005/MKS2004 and have been for six months now. I use it as my RTM and it is very light on my AMD 2.0 ghz cpu. While the memory usage is high if you look in task manager, I hardly notice it when using other apps.
    I did not activate the firewall (optional) as I use Kerio 2.1.5 with no problems. I did activate the registry monitor and it works very well.
    I can run a full system scan while surfing or tasking and notice no significant slowdown.
    You can download a trial at http://www.stormbyte.com/
    There is a forum at http://www.stormbyte.com/forums/ and Mariusz is in this forum frequently, in fact he is giving free liscense in a contest here in Wilders
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=68040

I cannot comment on panda, have never tried it. Have used Extendia avk single with Kaspersky engine, it slowwd my apps on opening, currently using it my on demand scanner. And McAfee is very good as you can find in this forum.
    Try them out and decide which one you like the best.

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Norton AV has never been bad on detection and false alarm performance is good as well. I believe it is second only to NOD32 in VB100 awards. The problems have been with compatibility, stability and support.

Perhaps the 2005 version is better, but when NAV 2004 came out it caused widespread problems. One bug that took months to solve caused it to write 10,000 (ten thousand, really) useless files to the update directory. That slowed the machine to a crawl.

23. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

im not asking him to give me an exact reason, i just would like to know if it were something serious before i spend my money to buy their newest product, im sure you too would like to know if it were something serious enough to keep you from waisting your money

24. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

thank you for your response i have actually used their trial, when i had the firewall on it started to act strange, but i cant say it was that that caused it, my main concern with them is how do they compare against kav or mcafee in detection rates

25. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The reason for the exclusion from the test should not take you to the decision to do not spend your money for panda. I do not see the connection. Of course you can buy panda, and as you see from the 2004 tests, panda is not bad regarding detection rates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.