AV-C Real-World Protection Test Jul-Aug 2021

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Chart: https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/?usertype=consumer&chart_chart=chart2&chart_year=2021&chart_month=Jul-Aug&chart_sort=1&chart_zoom=2

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You don't need to pay for robust protection; Defender as good as most (or better) and zero false positives. No wonder most AV vendors are almost giving away their products. Why pay?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

To get something lighter. MD provides very good protection, but some find it to be too heavy. I use alternatives, because they don't slow down my computer and are much more configurable.

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Technical support might be one of differentiator.

"Typical differences between paid and free programs:There are a number of ways in which a paid antivirus program can differ from its free counterpart. These include the absence of advertising, provision of technical support, a more sophisticated user interface, and additional features." (https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/review-of-free-antivirus-software-2017/)

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. Options are especially good in the event of a false positive.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

My experience with "tech support" having "tested" 13 AVs is that there is next to none and in some cases absolutely none. So good luck as to help with a potential FP.

7. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

good for you, don't pay, I will pay for my performance, thank you

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/?usertype=consumer&chart_chart=chart4&chart_year=2021&chart_month=4&chart_sort=1&chart_zoom=0

8. Bunkhouse Buck

For "performance" what do you recommend? I have licenses for most and would be happy to try-out what you recommend on my five computers.

9. robboman93

robboman93 Registered Member

According to the chart you shared Panda and Kaspersky provide the best performance, both free lol.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Panda has far too many FPs- I don't think that qualifies for best performance.

11. roger_m

I used it for quite some time and there were very few false positives, despite the fact that I was often downloading new versions of software and little known software.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

So you would disagree with the data from AV Compartives which consistently has Panda right at the top of the number of FPs?

13. Duxar

Duxar Registered Member

Besides the performance impact, Microsoft Defender is still one of the best. For free.

14. roger_m

While I haven't used Panda for a while, based on past usage, I definitely disagree.

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

the regular windows 10 (home/pro) contains a lot of processes which slow down a lot more than defender. i can compare right here on my 2nd machine between pro and ltsc.

16. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Reduce the CPU percentage value assigned to WD.
    Change the settings in WD Scheduled scan utility

17. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Kaspersky and BitDefender did a pretty good job. Congrats. Thanks for the test, @IBK.:thumb:

18. noway

noway Registered Member

About as useful as a car magazine testing 17 cars out of the thousands of makes/models actually made and claiming one of the 17 tested is now the best available and the other hundreds they didn't consider don't count.

19. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

yep, its a current time snap, not more. use whatever you want unless it makes no trouble.

20. Gein

Gein Registered Member

I've seen some review places say the paid AVs are lighter, others have the exact opposite results.

21. Bunkhouse Buck

Lighter is highly subjective and is dependent on the machine used to test. It is what works on your machine that counts at the end of the day. Reviews are a guide-nothing else. Get a trial (if available) and see what works for you.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Excellent results for MS Defender and 0 false positives. Let me reiterate that nowadays it is very light on my machine and truly set it and forget it, actually you don't even have to set it in the first place unless you are curious about its detection capabilities...

23. Bunkhouse Buck

100% and that is all I use after testing the others...

24. Gein

Gein Registered Member

It also depends on how they're measuring it. I've seen some testing sites use metrics the user isn't really ever going to notice comparatively like file extract time, or install time. Unless you're sitting there with a stop watch or the difference is so drastic that the user can't help but notice, those five seconds you're saving on a file extract by switching off of defender aren't going to make a difference. If you look at av-test one of the metrics they use is slower launching of websites (which the user will very much notice). If we take one of the top performers from other comparatives like Norton and compare it with defender, Norton gets killed here. Defender has virtually no impact on a systems network performance. So if you want to make a bunch of anti-virus manufacturers look good how do you level the playing field? You include a bunch of metrics that are measurable but not really noticeable by the user (like install time, extract time).

And none of these sites mention anything about performance bugs which are very common across AV vendors and much less common with windows defender.

25. Bunkhouse Buck

Of course its how they are measuring it and statistics can be "bent" to show any bias, etc. So yes, the tests themselves can be subjective and that is why I stated that it is what works on your machine. I look at the tests and have since their inception, but (again) at the end of the day, its what works on your machine that counts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.