Autostart Explorer tip

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Gavin - DiamondCS, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Why not replace Autostart Explorer from TDS-3 with our free tool, Autostart Viewer :)

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=asviewer

Simply find the file autexplr.exe in your TDS3\Ext.Sys folder, and rename it as a backup. Now rename the freeware asviewer.exe there and rename it autexplr.exe !

Now when you want to check your autostarts you can do so quickly, directly from TDS-3 - and see all known autostart locations.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nice tip Gavin! Thanks :D

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wished i could add it beside it, as i like the Autostart Explorer very much, which is much shorter :) and thus easier to look at the few lines i'm familiar with, and at other times i like to use the ASViewer.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The way I did it:

Find ASVIEWER.EXE in the AutoStart Viewer folder (you can do a "Search" for that exe if you can't remember where you put it, then right-click the "Search" result on that name and choose "Open Containing Folder" from the context menu that pops up).

Right-click ASVIEWER.EXE and then click on "Copy" in the context menu.

Go to the EXT.SYS sub-folder in the TDS folder, right-click in a blank space and click on "Paste" in the context menu (that will put ASVIEWER.EXE in a place of its' own there).

Then highlight the autexplr.exe with your cursor and right-click it and choose "Rename" from the context menu. Type autexplrold.exe in the box, move the cursor to a blank space and left-click to make it take.

Then highlight ASVIEWER.EXE, right-click it and choose "Rename" from the context menu. Type autexplr.exe in the box, move off to a blank place and left-click to make that stick.

You're done. The next time you click on "System Analysis/Autostart Explorer" in TDS, you'll get the full-monty from AutoStart Viewer.

Took awhile to type this, but less than a minute to actually DO it. Thought some "newbie-friendly" instructions might help. Pete

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Nice work, thanks Pete :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nice instructions Pete, thanks a lot!

Maybe we can add it to the plugins folder for the same reason to have them both available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.