Autorun.inf virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Engineeringfun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineeringfun

Engineeringfun Registered Member

Hey everyone,

Recently our computer was hit by the INF/Autorun virus, and Nod32 kept alerting of continuous infections. I ran multiple scans to quarantine this troublesome virus, but it kept replicating and Nod still quarantined the files. They were located in our printer files from HP, strangely enough, but I am not quite sure how this virus even came to be, as this is my parent's computer, and I always try to inform them of current internet threats and ways in which to prevent infections. This is the first time in two years that we have actually been infected, so I am unsure of how the virus came to be. I researched this autorun virus and it is common for it to multiply and it is said to come from USBs (which we haven't used) and CD drives. Every time a CD is inserted, Nod32 alerts me with the Autorun infection. I booted the computer in safe mode and scanned, and I also searched for any suspicious files. Scans now show no sign of any viruses. There are no symptoms of any infection now, but I know that viruses are very sneaky in that the computer could still be easily infected. I also scanned the computer with the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Tool, and nothing came up.

Is there still a possibility of infection or could it be a false positive? I would like to play my games without the constant annoyance of this Autorun virus. Is it worth downloading Malwarebytes, or getting our Computer Engineer to pay a visit?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it is. Go for it! :thumb:
    Just to see if it detects anything.

And maybe you should download HitMan Pro as well wich is a cloud-based scanner with several engines.
    If HMP comes up clean, I think your done with that infection. http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

BTW, welcome to Wilders miss Lucy :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

You should do scans with several AntiMalware softwares. In addition to Malwarebytes AntiMalware, I suggest:

1. Dr.Web Cureit
    2. SuperAntiSpyware Portable
    3. Hitman Pro

You should also scan with at least one Antivirus Rescue CD. It is my understanding that Antivirus Rescue CD's can more easily detect & clean Malware since Windows is not running at the time of the scan. There are many Antivirus Rescue CD's. The following are some suggestions:

1. AVIRA Rescue CD (very fast scan speed)
    2. Kaspersky Rescue CD
    3. Dr.Web LiveCD (very slow scan speed)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  4. ha14

ha14 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.