AutoRasDial and security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bascule, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bascule

Bascule Registered Member

I have recently moved to broadband and was (only a little) disappointed to find that my USB DSL modem basically behaved like a dial-up modem. I had to establish the ADSL connection manually after loging on (though once done the 2Meg is a great improvement!).

So I did some research and found AutoRasDial (http://www.zen9156.zen.co.uk/Programs/AutoRasDialFrame.htm). And now the connection is there as soon as anyone logs on.

Are there any security implications to this? I'm using the Windows Internet Connection Firewall. Will that still be active in the logged off state? I'm presuming it would.

Also, I'd be interested to know if anyone can tell me if other services (like BOINC, Avast Anti-virus, BITS, etc) can use the connection to update itself in the logged off state? Again, I'm assuming they can.

I like the convenience of having the connection there straight away and also the thought that services I know about and trust can use it even with no one logged on.

Any advice gratefully received ....

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders! :D

Is this a PPOE (Point to Point Over Ethernet) connection that you have to establish with your ISP?

3. Bascule

Bascule Registered Member

If I look at my modem config it says RFC2364 PPPoATM

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

So the PPPoATM software is running on your PC? And you use it to authenticate to your ISP?

If so, have you thought about getting a Linksys BEFDSR41W ADSL Modem + Router

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.