AutoPatcher bit the dust...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Seer, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Autopatcher homepage

Well, it's good they even lasted this long. The August 2007 Core release was just shipped a few days ago. I was just beginning to wonder how the hell are these guys from Autopatcher getting away with their work... Obviously, they're not anymore :doubt:
    I presume that the same will happen to RyanVM's and similar alternatives...

As Antonis said -

Cheers to all.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm also worried now about RyanVM.
    Since my activation problem with WinXPproSP2, I'm not going to use nLite anymore, because 3 activations is too few and doesn't allow me to experiment with WinXPproSP2 anymore. I hate phone-activations.
    I will replace nLite with a simple IMAGE, containing an ACTIVATED WinXPproSP2 + ATI/NVIDIA/CREATIVE-drivers/software + Windows Update.
    This way I can do experiments and re-install my computer forever without needing internet or phone activation anymore.
    I will also create additional images for application softwares with activation.

I like to have solutions, that work ALWAYS and not solutions that will cause problems sooner or later.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm having a stupid moment but what is MS objecting to? Someone mirroring their updates? Because that's all I see AutoPatcher was doing. I guess they gave it a GUI too...

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AutoPatcher contains and allows to instal updates and software (IE7, WD, WMP), which has to be validated by WGA in order to be downloaded from MS webpage.
    One day the same thing will happen to vLite, that is why I stopped using it, because then I could not live without it, I still miss it and I do not use it for months.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ahhhh yes! Good 'ole WGA!

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, I do understand, why MS do not like 3-rd parties to offer its software, especially something so sensitive like updates, which could be bundeled with malware, well it is, especially on p2p, but I do not understand, what were they waiting for? It is not like Autopatcher was here for a month or so, it was here for 4 years. [​IMG]

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Nooooooooooo AutoPatcher! :'(

I hope RyanVM stays and I hope theres some (easy) solution for updating Vista.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have a question. I haven't used autopatcher, but always wondered if it could be used to patch pirated versions of Windows? If so, could this mean that there will be more unpatched and vulnerable copies of Windows out there translating into more infected computers and larger botnets?

innerpeace

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes it can, it is actually its main purpose :D There are others, but this was the main idea behind AP (IMHO).

You can actually patch a copy of pirated Windows pretty much without installing WGA. I am not quite sure, but I think you can freely download almost all of the critical updates, and the majority of optional ones. That should keep you pretty much patched. As TheTOM_SK pointed out, WGA is needed mainly for Microsoft applications (core components, not their updates). I have a copy of pirated XP installed on my test lappy BTW, for playing purposes ;)

Yes, it is still possible to download AutoPatcher, even the Softpedia has it. But the real problem is in further 'development' of future releases.
    It is also a pity as the Autopatcher started off with release for Office 2007 as well, as from august.
    I believe some workaround will be found for this little problem. I won't be surprised to even see Microsoft's version of AP from now on, something like bundled updates, or at least a monthly package. There are other uses to AutoPatcher other than avoiding WGA. IMO, only by doing this, MS will achieve their goal.

11. WSFuser

The smiley makes me think sarcasm, but I must ask what gave you that idea?

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi WSFuser :)

It is this -

Clipboard01.jpg

the fact that it has it's own subcategory, so it can be easily noticed (and possibly excluded). Microsoft ship this update as "critical", so wouldn't you say that it should be there as well - with other critical updates? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting something here? But anyway, I'm glad my sarcasm has been noticed, as it is hard to say what was the "main" motive for releasing AP. This is only my opinion...

Cheers.

13. ErikAlbert

Is there something wrong with Windows Update, that users start using softwares like Autopatcher and nLite or vLite ?

14. WSFuser

Nothing wrong with Windows Update but if you reinstall Windows a lot or just have a lot of computers, then downloading updates can get repetitive and time consuming.

Having the hotfixes on cd and executing them each individually is also time consuming.

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Erik :)

I can only speak for myself - it is quicker then online updating. I bought this PC in february. Online update would have lasted for a couple of hours, so I just downloaded AP.

On large networks (where I work, for example), the benefit is obvious. It is an one-time download.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: With the sublimation of AutoPatcher, the world will not end just right there for some(perhaps vast) Windows users. There are plenty of web sites hosting Windows patches/update in various languages for those pirated Windows copies. MS$ can not stop those and IMO is powerless towards sensible solution anytime soon. In this real world, monopoly sometimes does not prevail. :-*

17. ErikAlbert

OK. Speed is nice. I will ask it differently : is Windows Update not safe, can it cause infections, if you have only a router and firewall at that moment ?

18. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Never heard of such case. If something like that happened before, I'm pretty sure all drums will bang about it - very loud :)

Regarding firewall -
    Some people try to make specific rules in a firewall for Windows updates sites (IP addresses), but I don't bother, as this is a very tedious task, perhaps somewhat impossible. Since I do like to keep my network connections as low as possible, I don't update online via various random Microsoft sites. AutoPatcher was/is a great tool for someone like me who likes to leave his IP address on a specific site(s) only when it's necessary. I tend to avoid that if possible. But that's just my way of doing things, and many will possibly disagree.

My regards,

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only thing i have noticed when having a fresh windows install with only a firewalled router is some adverts via the windows messenger service.
    so i just turned off the service:D
    lodore

20. ErikAlbert

Microsoft terminated Autopatcher and will terminate any other software that patches Windows.
    It's just a matter of time that RyanVM will be terminated too.
    The bottom line for the user is, that these softwares don't offer a long term solution anymore and it doesn't really matter if you like it or not. So I'm going back to Windows Update.

My first image will be :
    1. Activated WinXPproSP2 (original CD) +
    2. ATI/NVIDIA/CREATIVE-drivers +
    3. Windows Update fully patched.

From there I can do whatever I want with Windows and create as many additional images I want.

nLite/xLite can be replaced with two other softwares :
    1. XPLite for removal of components AFTER installation.
    2. Any decent tweaking software.

21. innerpeace

Thanks for your reply Seer. I always kept a link to AP, but never had a hard look at it. I think I bookmarked it because of trying to avoid WGA, but have since given in to it :ouch: . If it was a large download, that would have stopped me anyways. I also haven't had to reinstall my OS yet, but was going to very soon.

I was reading on another forum that many people including professionals used AP as a time and money saver. I guess another advantage would be that you could be patched up before going online the first time. Is it just me or does it seem that lately all the good ideas and software are disappearing?

Thanks, innerpeace

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Believe me, having a CD with all the hotfixes packaged is a time saver when repairing PCs :)

23. innerpeace

I can believe that. After I get some hardware, I'm looking to reinstall finally after 2 years. That's a lot of patches :(

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    But you can also manually download them from technet center.
    It won't be as pretty as autopatcher, but it will still work.
    Mrk

25. Seer

Seer Registered Member

That's the very alternative I'm considering right now. A little time consuming though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.