automatic updates

Discussion in 'polls' started by gerardwil, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

I assume most people on this forum have AV and/or AT scanners running or using them as an on demand scanner. These days a lot of updates are available. Mostly several times a day.
    I just wonder if there are still people around who update their progs manually and if so why not automatically?

Regards,

Gerard

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Speaking strictly for myself, I prefer that nothing happen on my machine without my input. It might be a bit of a pain, but I check for updates at least once per day for AV and least every other for everything else.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I manually update and that way I know it actually did update. I see nothing wrong with auto updates, It is just personal preference to do it manually

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I was always prefering manual updates befores, i do not like an update coming while critical apps are running (like CD burning softwares).

But since the begin of the year, with the worms storm, i have set up my AV to auto update, it checks for updates 2 to 3 times a day, so i'm sure i have always the lastest protection without any efforts.
    If i do it manually, there is days where i forgot... ;)

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Automatic for the security minded people

Clamav on my linux mailgateway is checking every hour, Avast is configured to check and install automatically too.

BTW: clamav is an open source virusscanner, and for a non commercial product it is remarkable how quick updates are published. For instance clamav Bagle-B signatures was 5th amongst two dozen manufacturers :cool:

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I do manual updates. The only thing I let update itself is WP (weather pulse) when I use it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.