automatic update questions

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by returniluser, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. returniluser

returniluser Registered Member

Hi,

I recently installed the trial version of Returnil System Safe (downloaded from CNET).

The first time I set it up, under the Status bar, it reported the "Virus Definition Update" date as that same day on which I first set it up, but that didn't make any sense to me -- because I had not connected to the internet for it to be able to download any updates. Any ideas?

Also, and probably more importantly, under "Preferences" I have set it to "Never" automatically download updates, but it doesn't listen to me and just goes on automatically downloading updates every time I connect to the internet. Is this normal for the Trial version, or is something wrong with my copy of Returnil? Or it is a known bug? Does anyone else have this same problem? Also, is the version of RSS on the CNET website maybe a fake or malware?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi returniluser and welcome to the forums :)

1. If you got the software from C|Net/download.com you should have a legitimate copy of the software that is not compromised in any way. This is also true of our other official mirror sites listed on our website and here in the release forums.

2. What build and version of the software are you using? (About link in the upper right corner of the main GUI)

Mike

3. returniluser

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the reassurance about the CNET download, but may I ask again about the strange situations I mentioned in my original post. Are those normal?

My version of RSS is given as
    "Returnil System Safe 2011 Version 3.2.10351.5418-REL3"

4. Coldmoon

Three things here:

1. The build you are using is old and should be updated as the latest release includes all fixes between your build (REL3) and the the current release (REL13).

2. You asked:

The installer gets more out of date the longer in the future you go so one of the priorities for the client is to make sure the definitions are updated. This happens during the installation process where the Quick Scan happens as it needs to update the signatures in order to perform the first installation verification of a clean system.

3. You also asked:

REL3 has some bugs and this is one of them. Updating to REL13 should resolve this so please try upgrading in place and let me know the results.

Mike

5. returniluser

Thanks, but how could it have updated the signatures when I was not connected to the internet during the installation of RSS? (I had earlier downloaded RSS and then installed it a few days later without any internet connection.)

6. Coldmoon

Strange - there must have been a moment when the client was connected to the Internet or else the signature would have shown as being older. When did you finally connect to the Internet?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.