Automatic Startup File Check at user logon never runs

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xMarkx, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I'm running Windows Vista SP2 with ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0. Under the scheduler, an automatic startup file check is supposed to take place after a successful virus signature database update (max. every 24 hrs) and after user logon (max. every 24 hrs). However, the automatic startup file check has never run after user logon. A startup scan, therefore, only takes place after a successful virus signature database update. Why is this so? My XP machine runs a startup scan after both an update and user logon. Screenshot enclosed.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

Mark

Attached Files:

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Update: I decided to uninstall my current build of EAV 3.0.669.0 and upgrade to 3.0.695.0 to see if that would solve the issue and also to solve the security center incompatibility error. It worked!

However, when I was uninstalling, I got an error saying something along the lines that the eav msi package had an error and couldn't be read, so I couldn't uninstall the program the conventional way using the ESET uninstaller in (Start>All Programs>ESET>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>Uninstall) or (Programs and Features). I also got another error saying explorer.exe had to be closed and so it shut itself down. Anyways, in order to uninstall, I had to find the original MSI package in the Recycle Bin, right click, and click uninstall. Then I deleted the ESET folder, rebooted, and installed the new build.

I'm wondering why I wasn't able to uninstall the old build correctly? I'm thinking I wasn't able to uninstall it correctly because I didn't install correctly to begin with. I installed it by downloading it from the ESET website by SAVING the msi file to my desktop, disconnect internet, uninstalling my previous antivirus [McAfee], reboot, install NOD32, reconnect internet. In the future should I run the msi file instead of saving it to my desktop, and uninstall the old build first: (eg: uninstall old ESET version, reboot, download new version by running it, install it)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello siljaline,

I'm fine with my setup now, I'm just want to avoid the same situation the next time I upgrade to a new build or version of NOD32.

I went through the application section of the event viewer and found this error relating to NOD32 during the uninstall process:

"Product: ESET NOD32 Antivirus -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Windows\Installer\eav_nt32_enu.msi"

I had originally saved the msi package to my desktop for the installation of NOD32 last year. I deleted it and it's been in the Recycle Bin.

Can you help me figure out what happened?

Thanks,

Mark

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Are the event viewer details recent ? My best guess is that the uninstaller attempted to fetch the original installation package or msi if it was deleted manually, that likely would have resulted in that type of event viewer message.
    Mind your event viewer for a while a post a new thread if you see any associated with NOD32. These are best guesses based on my experiences with uninstallation issues I have dealt with other programs and are not set in stone. Again, happy to know that things are back to normal.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you accidentally deleted the original msi file C:\Windows\Installer\eav_nt32_enu.msi necessary for uninstallation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.