automatic downgrade?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by kdcdq, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

A quick question please:

Can WSA be "automatically downgraded" from WSA Complete to WSA Antivirus simply by using an AV-only install key?

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Yes it can. The software and installer are both the same, the key determines what version you end up with. Just go to My Account in the GUI and activate the new keycode. It could not be easier...

3. guest

guest Guest

As I know of you would still have the firewall, that is why I stopped using it, if you find out different please post and let us know

4. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Stopped using it because it can look at and interact with the network as part of its anti-malware capability without interacting negatively at all with any other network filtering programs?

Odd thing to do.

I don't know of any other network filter that is malware-aware or anti-malware system that is network-aware.

Ahh well. I guess we'll keep seeing some people who still cling to old ideas around. You really should educate yourself better on the details of firewalls, network filtering, etc. Either that or listen to the people who know more than you. Or depart if you're not using it at all. No need to haunt the forums if you're an ex-user.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I've explained this several times - the exact same code has always executed even when WSA AV didn't have a firewall listed. It is just the visibility within the UI and the ability for the user to configure it/receive additional protection (free of charge) which changed as of the 2013 release, so there is no reason not to use the product just because we're giving you more functionality.

It remains just as compatible and just as functional alongside other firewalls and other security products as well, so there is no downside to using it in its fully functional form.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I like the WSA firewall and would not go without it.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Same here :) I cannot understand what people makes to think that WSA firewall is useless etc. I use WSA Complete alone with Vista Firewall enabled (to control inbound traffic) and never had an issue (infection or performance).

9. guest

guest Guest

I just asked a simple question, if you guys don't like the way I see things I will not lose any sleep over it, I suggest you do the same

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes but you have said it several times already, and it has been answered several times already. Meaning that you already knew the answer, and we already know your point of view on this. Of course you don't need to like it, though nothing has changed as it has been there the whole time, only that you didn't notice it because it wasn't visible in the UI, but now it is.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. fax

fax Registered Member

The answer was already given, you simply don't accept it. This is also fine, you are free not to like any feature in a product, however you keep pestering with your subjective views this forum section even on threads that have no link whatsoever with the WSA firewall feature.

Doing this you are basically hijacking other users threads for your own purpose (i.e. trolling). :)

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Before I went for a lunch I read guest's comment and said myself ... OK first eat and afterwards deal with the comment but now reading SweX's and fax's comment, everything has been said, so thanks folks you saved me from being impolite :D

13. Techfox1976

It's something along the lines of...

"I like our security guard. He does a great job and doesn't get in the way and keeps our building secure."
    "Yup. He also set up a book so you can see people who visited the building and tell him if you want him to specifically block somebody."
    "Wait... He checks who's coming in and out of the building?"
    "Yep. He has the book, so you can see now."
    "FIRE HIM!"
    "Wait... what?"
    "I can't tolerate him checking on who is coming in and out of the building. He has to go."
    "You know he's done that all this time as part of his job. The keycard system still works perfectly, he doesn't get in the way of it. And he's smarter, so if he sees somebody like a kid in a hoodie, he'll do extra checks for us. Just now he lets management see his logbook and put up notices for him. Why on earth would you want to fire him for just letting you see stuff he's been doing that you were happy with before?"
    "I don't care! I say so! Fire him!"
    "But... why?"
    "BECAUSE I SAY SO!"

14. guest

guest Guest

Although this does not make much sense to me there are still people that seem to have a certain mindset if they don't like something for whatever reason, you can't even reply or ask a simple question, anyhow I just wanted to know if it "might" had changed back to being a AV only, I guess I'm not allowed to ask such a thing
    so I guess what I said bears repeating

"""I just asked a simple question, if you guys don't like the way I see things I will not lose any sleep over it, I suggest you do the same"""

again ""I suggest you do the same""

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  15. Techfox1976

We're just trying to point out that it never can ever be changed back, because it never was that way to begin with. As we've said before, the firewall stuff has always been in what you considered to be "AV Only". If you do zero configuration to the firewall controls, it acts precisely like it would if those controls did not exist, but the firewall is and always has been there. Just now you can poke it more.

16. guest

guest Guest

""We're just trying to point out that it never can ever be changed back, ""

Well, I did run it at one time and their was no firewall in the GUI, that was the question I was asking, If it had changed, and I don't need a lesson on how it is set up, "I do understand" I was just asking, and how do you know that it can not ever be changed back, are you the writer of the program, although I realize it is very, very unlikely

17. Techfox1976

So, basically you are asking for the GUI for the firewall portion that has always been in the AV product to be hidden again. As long as you understand that that would not actually remove the firewall, which would still be there, you just would not be able to click on it.

I think there might be a communication barrier going on here too. A lot of people are of the opinion that you are trolling or intentionally misunderstanding, as you bring up stuff like "I don't need a lesson on how to set it up". There was no lesson on how to set it up. The point made was that the firewall has always been there and previously could not be changed, but now it can be changed. It used to be like heater controls hidden behind one of those little boxes on the wall. You could not touch it, but the heater system was still there. Now you can touch the controls. You stopped using the software because they allowed you to -see- the controls for the firewall that has always been there. That is why we question your posts.

You are correct, I did not write the software. That being said, I seriously doubt they will remove the actual functionality of the firewall. That will always be there. As to whether they will ever hide the controls again, that's anybody's guess. Will they hide it because you asked them to? Probably not any more than they would make a button that shows Nyan Cat on the UI if somebody asks them to. Might they hide it if too many other customers get confused or upset? Possibly, but it will be a balance over the benefit of showing the controls versus how many are upset. Majority generally win.

18. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Two points:

1) Thanks for the replies about the auto-downgrade process. It, indeed, does work like a charm. :thumb:

2) This thread is seriously off course at the moment. o_O My suggestion is that TH or Joe either create another thread with the firewall squabble in it or close this thread...o_O

19. guest

guest Guest

No, I was asking if anything has changed, I guess this bugs some people, "strange people"
    lose sleep over it if you want, I will not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.