Auto Updates don't work

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Viken, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viken

Viken Guest

Hi,

I'm a first time user of Spyware Blaster. I downloaded Version 2.6.1. When I try to do the auto update I keep getting this mesage:

"There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be
    temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The
    update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download. Please try again soon."

I've been getting this message for about 3 days. I've tried choosing all the different options but I still get that message. I do not have any firewall softwarre in use, but I do have a router that my computer is connected to. Thanks for any advice.

Viken

2. Viken

Viken Guest

An Update:

I installed Spyware Blaster on my laptop, which rins Windows ME and the auto update works with no problem.

My desktop however, still gives me the same error when trying to do the auto-update. That system runs Windows XP Pro.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Viken

3. michala

michala Guest

I thought that WindowsXP has a build in firewall. Is this incorrect? I also had a conflict with a program, not this one (I was checking out the board), and I also thought most dsl servers installed one.

4. Viken

Viken Guest

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Windows XP does have a built in firewall, but mine is disabled.

My Router does not have any firewall that I know of. Thanks for the input, though.

Viken

5. sig

sig Registered Member

Do you use a local web filtering proxy like Proxomitron? If not, then I don't know what the problem is. Just thought I'd mention that I have to bypass Proxomitron for the SpywareBlaster updates to be downloaded and installed. Don't have that issue with any other app. It's no biggie for me, but just thought I'd toss that out there in case it might be relevant for someone else.

6. Charles East

Charles East Guest

What brand and model of router are you using? Most routers sold on the market to support broadband access are configured with firewall settings in place by default. If you wanna now, you need to go to www.grc.com and run the vulnerability test called shieldsup. That may reveal what your router is blocking or not.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi Sig; that's interesting!

I use Proxo and never have any problems getting SpywareBlaster updates with it...

Just goes to show sometimes these machines have as much personality as we do, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.