Auto launch at Windows startup

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Saverio, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saverio

Saverio Registered Member

Hello everybody and Happy new year!

I'm a new user of RVS 2010 Free on Windows XP SP3.

I'm not interrested by the antivirus feature so I disabled it and I didn't create a virtual partition because my hard disk has already a second partition.

As I will only use RVS from time to time to safely try some Windows settings and install new software for testing purpose only, I would like RVS not to start automatically at Windows startup.

In order to do so, I deleted the shortcut I found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and it worked: RVS does not auto starts anymore and the rvsgui.exe process is not running in my system anymore.

Besides this, I noticed there is a process called rvsmon.exe still running on my system, so I decided to launch Services.msc and set the "Returnil virtual..." service to Manual startup instead of automatic.

After all this, I made some tests by manually launching RVS and enabling the System Safe feature, I created some files in my C: partition and RVS worked like a charm as these files disappeared after system restart.

The only thing I noticed is the hard disk free space that didn't go back to normal after restart (the space used by Virtual System on my C: partition wasn't given back to Windows). I think it's probably due to the Returnil service I turned to Manual in Services.msc. The correct disk space is restored when I manually launch RVS).

Could you tell me if this is the right method or if there is a simpler way to get rid of the two RVS processes in memory and use this software only on-demand?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Your method is valid. Unlike RVS 2008, RVS 2010 has been upgraded to include malware behavioral analysis and data collection so required a service to enable this functionality (in part, there are other reasons, but for the purposes of this reply they are not relevant).

As you do not wish to use the antimalware and analysis features, you should be good to go from an on-demand virtualization approach.

Mike

3. Saverio

Saverio Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Maybe I should use RVS 2008 as I don't use the extra features of RVS 2010.

4. tipple2010

tipple2010 Registered Member

Hi,

Like saverio, I would prefer to use Returnil "on demand", and would like to disable the defaut auto-start with Windows.

I was concerned by the above - does this mean that if you remove RVS from the startup group and set the rvsmon service to "manual", as suggested above, then you effectively loose the hard disk space allocated to Returnil during normal (non-Returnil safe mode) operation?

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

No. After reboot you have a very big file... It is vanished when you start the GUI only; see here.

6. tipple2010

tipple2010 Registered Member

Thanks for responding majoMo, and good thread link.

So I guess the best way for occasional users to proceed is to remove the exe from the startup group, but leave the services on automatic?

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That's what I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.