ATI7 won't image to second HD???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Razzputin, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razzputin

Razzputin Registered Member

OK I have 60 gigs on my C drive. Only 5 gigs of info, including the OS. I want to do a complete backup and send this 5 gigs to a 10 gig partition on my second hard drive. I go throught the wizard and when I get to the last proceed button, I get this error popup about the RPC. I posted this same error when I was trying to burn it directly to DVDs but was informed here that ATI 7 cannot burn directly to DVDs so I resized my partition on the second HD and was told I would be able to send an full backup image there. I must be doing something wrong.

any help kindly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Razzputin

OK I started the scheduler up in services and I no longer get the error pop up but I get this (see attachment) and nothing seems to be happening it just says ready to commit?
    The only thing to be committed will be me if I can't get this figured out!!

Attached Files:

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Razzputin,

Firstly make sure you don't have any other "hanging" scheduled tasks (all backups are "scheduled" tasks whether invoked via the Task Scheduler or started manually) . If so, delete them all and try again. If that isn't applicable then try an uninstall followed by a reinstall/reboot (this usually straightens out any scrambled Registry entries) and see what happens.

Regards

4. Razzputin

Thanks Menorcaman,
    1) there is only 5 gigs of info on the C drive. the rest is empty. It wouldn't take an image of all the space would it/ Maybe I should just transfer each folder (ie) my documents,the OS, etc. as one task at a time?

2)did you get the same picture / image on your screen as in my last post attachment/ does that start the progress and and just leave it running? so after a few hours you see some sort of progress in the bar graph?
    I wondered because at the bottom mine said "ready" and did not show any progress(mind you I only waited about 10 minutes) to see if anything happened. I did not think it was working as it only said ready but I did not think to leave it on for a day.
    3) 5 gigs would take approx. how long to transfer? do you have toi wait long for the progress graph to indicate a move from ready to actually doing something . I wonder it indicates it is starting to work, after a few minutes or hours??

how do I get this to activate??

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  5. Razzputin

Thanks Menorcaman,
    I finally bumbled through it. :D Did not realize I had to set a specific time to run it, :oops:

6. Razzputin

One other question.would it be safe to defrag the partition that this is stored on. I just would like to do it once and leave it. This drive will only be used whenI do incremental backups from now on. maybe once a month.

7. dld

dld Registered Member

Yes it is safe to defrag the partition that this is stored on, although the benefit will be minimal.

I used Diskeeper Lite V9 to analyze my D: drive where I'm storing three Acronis images. Here are the results showing no advantage to defragging:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/927/screenshot060ib3.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1161/screenshot059ws2.jpg

Note that this drive has never been defragged.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

While it is possible to defrag, there have been several posts where defrag ruined the backup set. It it were mine, I would not want to take the risk . I would not defrag the drive where the backups are stored.

9. Razzputin

OK thanks for the info grover and DLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.