ATI V8 Problem & Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EdP, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Using Win XP Home SP2, ATI V8.0 Build 774

I'm a firm believer in the adage "Leave well-enough alone", so I'm not eager to upgrade my version of ATI (feel free to offer opinions on that) . However, I do have a minor problem and a question.

1. Imaging problem.
    My HD has four partitions, C:, D:, E:, and F: which I back up while in Windows. After creating the full image of C:, I have to close ATI and restart it before I image D:, otherwise ATI reports that the partition has been imaged when, in fact, nothing happens. After imaging D:, I don't have to close and restart it to image E: and F:

2. Long path name question.
    I've read about this problem here, but don't know if it occurs with Version 8 Build 774. I'm also not sure if ATI reports the problem when creating the image or when restoring it. If this is a problem with my version of ATI, then I'd like to know:
    a. When does it occur - during imaging or restoring?
    b. If it occurs only during the restore, is there a tool that can search my HD for files paths that exceed that limit? I'd hate to find out that I have a corrupted file during the restore process.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    EdP

2. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

The lates build of V8 is 937. You can download it after you register you program.

Have you tried doing a full disk image of all partitions at once time? Or is this when you have the trouble.

Now you know what I do on the subject. Good luck!

3. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks for the response.

>Build 937<
    Yes, I saw that a few days ago on their site, but I haven't decided yet if I want to install it.

>full disk image of all partitions<
    I image the partitions one at a time and have never imaged the entire HD in one fell swoop nor have I noticed the instructions on how to do that. I'll have to take a look.

EdP

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When performing a backup rather than checkmark a specific partition, checkmark "Disk 1" and then all partitions should become checkmarked.

You might find my pdf guides (link below) helpful but created using Version 9. The instructions should be similar to those used for version 8. Images B4 & R6 illustrate using the disk option checkmark for backups & restores.

Yes, I would recommend you upgrade to version 937 or more recent versions. Suggest you un-install before installing any new build. Your old backup archhive (*.tib) are still usable should you upgrade.

Having all partitions included in the backup archive especially helps when you need to restore or replace the entire disk. Also, you can still do single partition restores from a full disk backup.

5. como

como Registered Member

And it will back up the MBR, which from memory wasn't included in version 8 unless you do a whole disk image

6. GroverH

And, two heads are better than only one.:)

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

8.937 was the most solid and reliable version/build of True Image I have every used. I had no option but to upgrade to 9 and beyond when I upgraded my hardware. If you are working with an older build of version 8 and have run into problems, I recommend you download 937.

F.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Definitely upgrade to 937. The prior bulds of 8 were all pretty funky. but 937 was pretty solid. Iirc, it was the last polished build of ATI before they changed to the new engine.

9. como

como Registered Member

If 937 doesn’t suit you can always reinstall a previous version, if you haven’t got the previous download file, providing you register you are able to download it again. If you do decide to go back you will have to uninstall 937 completely, do a search on the forum for instructions on how to do this.

10. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thank you all for the information and for responding.
    I will update to 937 and I will start backing up the full disk instead of a partition at a time.

I have another question. Let me know if I should start a new thread with this one.
    I have a friend who's interested in purchasing ATI to back up his two PCs. I'm not sure he should go with Version 11 seeing as how it's so new and I've seen some negative posts regarding it. Both Versions 9 and 10 are available on the 'net (I have not found Version 8 anywhere). Which version do you suggest?

Thanks again for all the help and all the responses. Great forum!

EdP

11. GroverH

EdP,
    We're not saying all your backups have to be of the disk type version but you need to have at least some of the disk version always available. You can still do occasional single partition backups and single partition restores; but if you need to replace your hard drive, then you will need the disk version of the backup.

12. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks, Grover ...

Understood.
    I was under the impression that backing up my C: partition took care of that. Apparently not.

13. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Ed,

The problem is that version 8 only includes the MBR if you do a full disk backup. Backing up only the C: partition will not include the MBR. Starting with version 9, the MBR is included with a C: partition only backup.

14. como

como Registered Member

And may be a reason to upgrade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.