ATI update question?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2harts4ever, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Registered Member

Good morning,

I am still getting my feet wet with ATI 10 and have another question if you would indulge me once again. :D

When I go to 'My Acronis account' and click on 'Product updates' my current registration for this product shows.

However, when I click on the update available it shows the current build originally on my retail CD. Does this mean I am up to par?

Also, on the same line, if I happened to miss updating when a new update is available would my current retail CD still be able to boot me into Windows to restore from my saved Image on my External Drive?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The boot CD boots into Linux, actually, but it will restore images made with updated versions -- usually. Best to make a new boot CD whenever you install an updated version of ATI.

sh

3. 2harts4ever

Hi shieber,

Thanks for your response and information.

However, in regards to my original question:
    Any ideas on that?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The current build for ver 10 is 4942. What build is yours?

5. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

Same thing (4942), so I guess I am okay for now.

Any ideas on the second part of my original question:
    I know you are supposed to make a new Rescue CD everytime you update but I am just curious if you missed one would my original Retail CD do the trick?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

6. DwnNdrty

Whatever build made the Image, the Rescue CD for that build will always work with that Image. If you update your installed True Image software (you have to do it, it doesn't happen automatically like some other updates) then you should remake the Rescue CD just to be sure.

7. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

That is exactly what I was looking for in regards to an answer for that question.

I am now searching around so I can come up with a spare internal hard drive to test these restore images.

Also looking seriously at those removable drive trays you mentioned in my other thread. Although to be completely honest, I don't really understand how they work just yet. I will have to do some more searching and reading on them.

I love the idea because getting inside my computer and switching hard drives all the time is not my idea of a nice way to pass time ....lol

Thanks again for all your advice and patience. It is greatly appreciated by this 'tiring' brain-housing group of mine.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

8. DwnNdrty

The device consists of two parts: a rack and a tray. The rack has to be permanently mounted into the computer in a spare 5.25" bay. So you have to open the computer at least once to install the rack. The two cables that would normally go to a hard drive (the ribbon cable and the power cable) are now connected to back of the rack instead.

The tray has two cables also, the ribbon and the power cable, and you connect these to the hard drive and drop the drive gently into the tray. The tray usually has a cover on its top so once the drive is in the tray you slide the cover on the tray. Once you do this, you then slide the tray into the rack where the tray engages a multipin connector to make the necessary connections required by the ribbon and the power cables.

Some of these devices come with a key lock, which must be in the locked position to power the rack which in turn powers the drive.

I actually have two of these racks mounted in my desktop. One is in the Master position of the Primary channel (I have a burner in the Slave position) and the other is in the Secondary channel and since I only have this device on the Secondary, I can jumper the hard drive as Slave or Master.

I hope that makes things a little clearer. When you buy the device it would be obvious how to install it.

9. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

You make it sound easy but I am afraid I am no where near your expertise so I will keep reading on the subject.

I am following a couple hard drives on E-Bay identical to the one in my computer right now. That will be my first step if I can get the right price. Both are listed as new and in their original factory packaging. Time will tell on that.

I appreciate your additional information on the removable drive trays. If you ever come across any illustrated step by step how you install and utilize them please send me the link.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Often times (not always), you can use a newer Rescue CD to restore an old backup. Sometimes (not always), you can use a slightly old Rescue CD to restore a new backup--but you should not plan on it. Changes in the programs can cause the images not to be ready properly.

It is best that you create a Rescue CD for each new build that you install. Write your serial number and version number on the CD. Protect it from abuse. If you use it regularly, even make a second copy of the Rescue CD. Should your hard drive fail, it is the Rescue CD which must be used to restore your system. Boot up from the Rescue CDand do backups and validations. Almost every Acronis function that can be performed from within the Windows environment can also be achieved from the Rescue CD.

The search feature can ge a real asset for you. Review other posts on this forum for answers to most of your questions. Except for new hardware issues, most questions about Acronis have been previously asked and answered on this forum. Age is not a factor on this forum. You only need a willingness to do your research and then implement the procedures you select. This is mostly "on the job" learning.

11. 2harts4ever

Hi GroverH,

I appreciate your added tips.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

12. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

If you are uneasy about fooling inside the box, as I am, the external HD that plugs into your USB port is the answer. Installs in two minutes. Maybe a little slower than the internal drive, but so what?.
    I do my backups at night and don't care how long they take.

Added advantage is that you can backup more than one computer since the device is highly movable.

When I go away for any lenght of time I put all the sensitive personal info into a temporary file on the USB HD, then lock it in the safe, or take it with me.

I have used Maxtor for four years, and still use it for my laptop. My main box is now an a WD Elements 240 GB ($75).

13. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Sorry, my last post belongs to tombuhn's question on backup advice.

14. 2harts4ever

Hi rwt325,

No problem ... it was interesting reading!

Regards,

2harts4ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.