ATI Radeon x600 vs Sapphire HD 3450

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

I´ve a question, recently my videocard broke down, so I replaced it with the Sapphire HD 3450, however it seems to give a sluggish performance when
    playing FIFA 2006, it should be able to run this game smoothly no? I mean my old videocard was about 4 years old. :rolleyes:

To make things a bit confusing, my old PC should have had the ATI Radeon x600, but it had some kind of ASUS card installed, so either HP or the shop where I bought the PC screwed me over. :cautious:

But surely, the Sapphire HD 3450 must outperform a 4 year videocard? Should I perhaps install certain specific Sapphire drivers? I have already installed the latest ATI Catalyst 9.12 driver. And btw, the reason why I bought this card, was because my power supply can only deliver 300 Watt. So I can not install the latest fancy videocards.

http://http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=197

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The 3450 should be faster but not by a huge margin or anything.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's not to do with age, it's...the 3450 is a 50 dollar entry level card. The x600 was a mid-upper range card (around 200-250 bucks) when it was out. The 3450 is a slower card than even a mid ranged card from 4 years ago.

Out of the ATI 3000 series, if you want some budget gaming, look at the 3850 to start with. Although, once you're at that price, I'd look at the 5000 series to get DX11 compat, like the 5750.

4. Rasheed187

Thanks for the replies guys. ;)

So basically I´m out of luck I guess, like I said before I can not install the most powerful videocards, because of my power supply, but I expected this card (entry level or not) to at least be able to give a good performance in older games like Fifa 2006. I still think it might be some conflict, or perhaps I can tweak it or something? I don´t know, but I´m seriously thinking about buying a new PC. Not sure if I want to upgrade to Win 7 though. :cautious:

Btw, I still wonder what killed my older videocard (my screen went to "Power Save Mode" after starting the PC), it might have been the dust, Speedfan did give very high temperatures but I´m not sure if I can trust that tool.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I know that feeling, I had it too, but Im happy I changed, I got a Refurbished machine, AMD Phenom Quad Core, 8GB ram, 1GB radeon graffix card, 1TB HD, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, I added Win7 Gateway OEM myself, it had vista OEM, Ill never go back, I love Windows 7, I can run any OS in a Virtual Machine, so I still have XP Pro whenever I want to go to old resources ect, can also install anyother OS on VMware so its kinda like an all in one machine.

And it was only $450 for the refurbished machine, that was originally around $800, my last machine was refurbished and that was 8 years ago and all parts still work perfect, so their is nothing wrong with buying a refurbished machine, hell, I know people who bought new slimline HP machines and they broke down right after the warranty was over, they were ticked..

6. Rasheed187

Hi,

Thanks for the info Warlockz, I will probably buy a Dell XPS 8100, I didn´t even know that you´re getting a 1TB HDD and 4GB of RAM nowadays. :cool:

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

HD3450 is good only for HTPC, specially the fanless model (passive). Gaming capabilities are really limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.