ATI Home v11 Corrupted Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by subyroo, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subyroo

subyroo Registered Member

I have a 40GB partition on a 2nd HDD that I have been using as an ATI Secure Zone and today I did a Validation before Restoring an image, part the way through the validation it said that the Image was corrupted.

I have deleted this secure zone for now and will not be creating another until there is some of making sure that zone is free from corrupting the image.

My question is this: "If this is supposed to be a Secure Zone how can the image become corrupted?"

This is not the first time this has happened to me with this version and also with ATI Home v9.0, it's giving me the sh*ts and I'm very near to joining "knocker ranks" of ATI and looking for a better program.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When you removed the secure zone I presume that you used the manage secure zone wizard and allocated the space to an existing partition . The next step should be to run CHKDSK R on the second drive. Examine the check results. The most likely reason for corruption is a physical problem with the Hard drive. CHKDSK may be able to mark any bad sectors as such and restore the drive to good health.
    My own view is that any bad sectors that appear are a sign that a drive is really due for replacement.

Xpilot

3. subyroo

I used PM8 to allocate the space to another partition on the same HDD.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you have restored successfully before then you may have a memory problem. Run memtest86+ free from www.memtest.org for several hours minimum.

If you haven't restored before then you may have a problem with the Linux rescue environment not reading your disk properly (among other things). When you validate in Windows it is not using the same environment as when you restore using the Linux environment. Try a validation using the boot CD. If it fails and the Windows one works then this is likely the problem.

Image corrupt message should be interpreted as: TI cannot read the archive properly and reconstruct the checksums - it does not mean that the image is indeed corrupt. The latter would be the case if the HD has bad sectors though.

5. subyroo

I just tried to validate a brand new image on a newly formatted and created SZ and it failed again so I deleted the image and the partition and ATI has been removed.

Thanks for your help anyway, I read you suggestion above after I shot the p*ss with this corrupted image msg and deleted everything. :oops:

Looking at the Forum tonight I am not alone in this corrupt image caper, we can't all be doing the same thing to get the corrupt mag surely.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It will also be the case if ATI cannot handle your hardware properly, which I am inclined to think happens much more often than bad memory, bad drives, etc. Anything that causes read/write errors can cause ATI to report that the archive is invalid.

On a side note, I would create a Secure Zone unless I had only one harddisk and therefore had no where else to save a backup file to. Other than that, I'd skip the SZ -- it'snot really secure; it's just hidden from normal view. And it presents the possibility for probs that are just plain unnecessary.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello subyroo,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that it is possible that the archive is being declared corrupt because of faulty data transfers. Please run a memory diagnostics such a Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org for a several hours. There should be no errors reported. Please also run Windows chkdsk utility with parameter "/r" on the hard drive the archive is stored at.
    If there are no errors with memory/hard drive reported, please try copying/moving the archive to another location, and validating it again. Please also try using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to validate the archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.