ATI Home and file naming

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dirtnapper, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Registered Member

I just did a full backup of data, and when I looked at the files, the naming is very odd. It starts with My Documents2 thru 7, 11-19, and then 110-116, what kind of naming is this? What ever happened to sequential naming? What am I missing? I had trouble with a previous backup file set from the previous system, ATI rejected the disks; I had to copy them to the HD and work with them. In the previous backup set, there was no issue with naming. That set was delected from the backup disk before this one. Any ideas please? Can I trust this program?

ATI Files.jpg

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

lol -- I hadn't seen this before. Intersating; it's sequential, it's just not following the natural number series -- looks like either the programmer didn't check out the coding before he or she had written it, or else didn't care. Otoh, the sales folks might have precruded further work.

3. Dirtnapper

I got a reply back from tech support, which I am not too thrilled with since it did not really answer my question and give me any assurance about this funky program, anyone else have this behavior in their backup - do you feel secure using it?

'Hello Rick,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We may recommend you to validate your backup file using the Backup Archive Validation Wizard. If the process of validation completes successfully please be aware that there is no need to worry about. To restore your backup file containing several volumes you can select any one volume of the backup file.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.'

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. shieber

lol. Like no worries, just happiness. I guess

they are saying, "Yep, that's how it works but it does work, so ignore the oddness of method of sequencing." The natural number series is soooo overdone these days,

The Nixon white house staff used to "deny" chjarges of misdeeds in the Washington Post by slightly changing the subject rather than actdually denying the charges -- what the Post called "nondenial denials".

I guess you could call tech support's response a nonaffirming affirmative. ;)

5. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

And good riddance to it. It was so restrictive, and, let's face it, boring.

6. shieber

Yes, I prefer the rationals, although they can take a long time to write out sometimes, which could make progam that used them, fully written out for filenaming purposes, appear to hang ;-)

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you do two backups of My Documents about 18 minutes apart?

Note that the first series as shown starts with MyDocuments2, and MyDocuments1 is missing. It ends with MyDocuments7, and then there is an 18 minute gap.

The next series starts with MyDocuments11 as if the name of the backup was MyDocuments1 and then TI appended 1, 2, etc. up to 16. So, the series ended with MyDocuments116. That set is complete.

So, is MyDocuments1 anywhere or did it get deleted. If you try to verify the first set starting with MyDocuments2, does it verify?

I usually end my backup names with a # sign because it's easier to see that TI has appended a number when it reads MyDocuments#1, etc.

8. Dirtnapper

I did only one backup. I verified it and it says it is ok. I am going to delete the whole mess and try one more time. If it acts screwy, I am trashing ATI and looking for something else.
    Update: I just finished a full backup of the same files, it failed miserably. There are many files/folders that it could not backup this time! I took a look at the files in question and they appear to be ok - I could open and view them at least. There seems to be something very wrong with this program. Waste of money and time for me.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  9. Dirtnapper

Another backup, this time I wanted to try a differential on the latest full backup. Since there were so many files not backed up, I was hoping that maybe the differential might back them up. Instead, it made another whole backup. Also, there is no file naming change to show that it was a differential.

Attached Files:

10. jmk94903

Have you run CHKDSK /R on this disk?

The results that you are getting are very atypical. The inconsistant results are certainly indicative of some significant problem.

11. Dirtnapper

Ran all the scanners, nothing! I am going to remove it and try a fresh install over the weekend.

12. jmk94903

You didn't describe your system.

The Full System backup you show is around 7GB. Is that the boot partition or drive of the same system?

Is My Documents on a second partition of the same drive or a second drive?

How much additional data is on the partition/drive with My Documents?

13. Dirtnapper

The docs folder is on another drive, 160gig hd. It is used only for data etc. My OS and programs are on a WD Raptor, which is the "Full System" backup. My backup HD is WD MY BOOK, 500 gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.