ATI Home 2009 and email notifications violate RFC's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DarryDoo, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarryDoo

DarryDoo Registered Member

Greetings.

Did a quick search in the application's Help, in the KB, and in the Forum for the following issue, but came up empty. Apologies if this has been covered before.

Email notifications in ATI Home 2009, build 9709, are badly broken, and violate RFC 5321 -- and RFC 2821 -- and even RFC 821-- in all sorts of ways.

The only one that matters is RFC 5321, as the others are obsolete; I list them merely to show that there's no excuse for the violations, as they have been Internet standards since 1982.

Here's the configuration I used:
    [​IMG]

I used Wireshark to capture the SMTP stream:
    [​IMG]

The MAIL FROM: command is in the wrong format. RFC 5321 clearly states that:
    • email addresses must be surrounded by <>
    • there must be NO SPACES around the colon

Further testing revealed that the recipient commands RCPT TO: were just as badly broken. It also revealed that using multiple recipients separated by semicolons was just as badly broken.

I modified my configuration to work around ATI shortcomings by putting in < and > where necessary. I also added a second recipient:
    [​IMG]

And in Wireshark:
    [​IMG]

Again RFC 5321 is violated. Page 67 of the RFC:
    Sending the same email over and over again, with multiple authentications (as implemented in ATI) is highly discouraged in the RFC. All of this is to reduce needless Internet traffic.

Now, this discovery would have been WAY easier if ATI either displayed the entire email transaction when the "Send test email message" button is clicked... or created a logfile of the entire mail transaction every time.

I have to say, logging in ATI, in general, is terrible.

I guess the only question is: when will Acronis become a good Internet citizen, and fix these problems?

Cheers
    Darren

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.