ATI Home 11 backup stuck at 100% after exceeding backup location size quota

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spritemv, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spritemv

spritemv Registered Member

I have Acronis set to make automatic backups of my two drives overnight. Normally it completes without a problem. However, this morning I woke up and Acronis was still running, keeping both core of my processor at near full utilization. I put my cursor over the Acronis icon in the system tray and it says Status 100%. Since it had been running for 3 hours, I right clicked on the system tray icon and selected cancel, but it apparently isn't canceling. The icon now shows a red circle with a diagonal line through it (like it's crossed out), but the program is still using 100% of both of my CPU cores. This happened once before, and I ended up just rebooting my computer to free up my CPU again. Both times, my main system drive backup went fine, but it was the subsequent backup of my storage drive that got stuck.

Looking at my log file, it appears that my Backup Location exceeded the size quota and Acronis tried to delete older images to make room. It looks like this may be where it got stuck.

Here is a link to my log file. I've also attached a copy to this post.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello spritemv,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

I would recommend you to check all hard drives for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the issue persists increase size of the Backup Location it should fix the problem.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. spritemv

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the problem originally posted, I ended up restarted my computer to get Acronis to stop the backup. I then manually "validated" the backup location and this was able to successfully downsize my backups to the size limit I previously specified.

EDIT: In retrospect, I'm now questioning whether the validation resized the Backup Location.

Unfortunately, the problem happened again (for the third time now) 2 nights ago when the Backup Location size quota was again exceeded. It's currently 472GB and I have the limit set at 300GB.

I ran a chkdsk on both my storage drive and the backup drive and found no errors. Maybe I need to increase the size on my Backup Location? The media I'm trying to backup occupies 187GB, so I thought 300GB would be plenty for incremental backups - especially since the data doesn't change often.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. spritemv

I forgot to attach my log. Here it is.

The reason the log picks back up at 1:30 pm is because my computer eventually went into sleep mode and this is when I finally woke it up. The priority changes at the end were done by me when I was trying to end the backup process.

Attached Files:

5. spritemv

Another update... rather than having the backup run overnight, I just started it manually so I could keep an eye on it. After reaching 99% complete, I received the message:

I clicked "yes," and after waiting over an hour with both of my CPU cores logging 100% usage, I decided to give up. Again, the backup process wouldn't stop when I clicked cancel so I had to restart my computer. My Backup Location is now 656GB despite my 300GB size limit. I am going to run a validation of the backup location again in hopes that it will resize my backup archive to the proper size.

I've included an image of the error message. Any idea why Acronis is unable to resize my Backup Location to meet my quota when making a backup but is able to do so after a validation?

Attached Files:

6. spritemv

Hm, perhaps I was mistaken before. I just ran an archive validation again and it did not resize my Backup Location back to 300GB.

I've attached a log file from the failed backup I conducted this afternoon. According to the log, it says the violation was detected, it tried to fix the violation, and a deletion was started. However, it never finished.

I'm stumped...

Attached Files:

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

How much disk space do you have left?

I've found that with v2009 the consolidation feature has become more cumbersome, it requires a large amount of free disk space to consolidate existing archives, almost the same amount as the original archives require.

I have also found that occasionally when the quota is exceeded, afterwards it will always run through making a complete archive - so if I had a base and then 5 incrementals, it will attempt to make a new base and 5 new incrementals every time the task is run even when the quota hasn't been exceeded - when this happens my laptop takes over 3 hours to make a 400MB incremental.

Colin

8. spritemv

That could be the problem as my backup disk's free space is quickly dwindling. After my storage backup blew up to >600GB after the differentials, I only had 100GB left. I just went through and deleted all my old storage backups to start from scratch again. I now have 750GB free... we'll see if I run into problems again when I reach my size quota. Perhaps I should actually set my size quota to be smaller, so there is ample room left on the drive to consolidate the backups...

9. Acronis Support

Hello spritemv,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Could you please clarify where Backup Location is placed (whether it's on internal, external, or network hard drive)? Quotas always exceed when Backup Location is on a network share or a network drive. This is a known issue.

What is the build number of your Acronis software? You can find out the build number by selecting "Help" option, "About".

If the issue remains, could you please verify the oldest, undeleted backup file by means of Backup Archive Validation Wizard? Please note that when you select the backup file to perform the verification, you should select the file not under Backup Location string, but under My computer.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

10. spritemv

I am running Acronis version 11.0 (build 8,101). Unfortunately I am not able to provide a good answer to your last question. To keep reliable backups going, I ended up manually deleting everything in my storage Backup Location, so my oldest is currently from 5/10/2009. The backups are running fine again now that I am not longer approaching the size quota. I'll let you know how it goes when I eventually bump into it again.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  11. Acronis Support

Hello spritemv,

Thank you for your response.

Should you experience the same issue in the future, please verify the oldest backup file by means of Backup Archive Validation Wizard selecting the file under My computer and let us know the results. This will help to localize the issue, we must be sure that the issue is not related to the backup file corruption.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.