ATI hangs at reboot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Thalassos, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thalassos

Thalassos Registered Member

Hello, at last circumstances forced me to restore Vista system partition with a full backup image of a month earlier. It checks the archive, no problem. Asks me to reboot- I suppose to delete the corrupted partition. After the message about Acronis loading nothing happens, no disk activity, all is hanging. With the help of the rescue disk I can get to the graphical interface, but after I choose to load True Image nothing happens, a black screen forever. When I reboot normally, thank God, the old corrupted Vista system still operates. So what is this about, why is Acronis useless to me now, after I dutifully backed up everyday and every month my whole system disk with vista partition and two data partitions? Backup is on another disk. And by the way, I have a dual boot option. My old XP still resides on again an other disk. But what is happening? Anyone knows?

Thank you.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you ever done a successful restore with TI on the system? If not, then the following is likely the problem.

When TI needs to restore the active partition, typically C, it cannot do it with Windows running so it starts up its recovery environment which is a version of Linux. Even though you setup the restore in Windows, the reboot process fires up Linux - the same as on the rescue CD.

Your system has a problem with the Linux environment, typically a driver problem.

You can log a support ticket with Acronis and collect some data they will request and they should provide you with an updated .iso you can burn to CD. This should also ensure that the fix gets incorporated into a later build of TI.

TI also has what it calls a Safe Mode recovery which uses a DOS variant and can recover from disks but typcially not USB/firewire/network devices. Some motherboards will support USB under it. Prior to TI11 the Safe Mode used to be included in the TI distribution. I believe you have to specifically download it from their site now. If it does the job, you will very likely find it to be slow.

The other solution is to make a BartPE or VistaPE bootable CD with the TI plugin. This environment is Windows and should not have any driver issues. It also lets you build into it any special drivers you might need.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

SeekForever has given you the key info, but did you make a Recovery CD?

Have you tried booting from it?

Have you tried all the tips suggested in the stickies at the top of this forum, especially the acpi=off napic?

If none of these work and Tech Support doesn't provide a suitable boot CD, you need to create a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk.

4. Thalassos

Thank you for your replies. I have to take some time to study them...
    Until later...

Jan Henk Speelman

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Thalassos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. Thalassos

I am in a way scared of your answer. I backed off and considered the buying of True Image a dangerous mistake. I am in a deadlock. I need to refresh my Windows and data collection, but I don't want to lose it all while trusting the hanging procedure of True Image when rebooting. I did all that I have read in the manual, but The program shows no balls when time is there. Your recommendations are very incomprehensible, but I will try to understand them. I am now thinking that a simple copy operation to another disk is the best way to save my system in case of a crash. My brain is tired of thinking about the cleverest way of recycling my PC. And I don't get paid to think what went wrong with TI 11. I am tired. I f I do not smile in the near future, Acronis needs to be questioned.

One more try...

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Thalassos,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that, as seekforever pointed, most likely Acronis Linux environment drivers with their default settings are not a perfect match for your hardware. The recommendations in my previous post are intended to determine if it's possible to help that by changing settings first (the "acpi=off noapic" method); and if not, to collect the information necessary for our Development Team to create a custom Acronis Bootable Rescue Media for you.

Please notice that, if you follow the instructions, paragraph by paragraph; untill you press the "Proceed" button of Restore Wizard of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (at which point you will have already seen if your devices are recognized properly), no data will be altered on your hard drives.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Thalassos,
    I have dealt with a similar problem (not identical) with TI 10, and was able to get to the rescue disk interface by shutting down the system and unplugging my second hard drive. Upon reboot, the rescue disk was functional. Because, as in your case, my backup image was on the second HD, I plugged the HD back in, rebooted and copied the image to an external HD, shut the system down, unplugged the second HD, and upon reboot was able to restore from the external HD. This is just a guess for a possible workaround that may not work for you. I then provided Acronis the information that they are requesting from you, and they provided me with a custom solution.

And in a separate post:

Since you are considering copying, you might want to read though this thread, it offers different alternatives to backing up your data partitions. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164175. If you choose any of these methods, it might be wise to copy the information before you try any further recovery with TI, just in case.

Regards, CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.