ATI and PM7

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dpullem, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpullem

dpullem Registered Member

Partitioned my 2 HDs with Partition Magic 7, Disk 1 C&D and Disk 2 E&F. I then installed ATI. I then established a secure zone on Disk 2 partition F. All looked Ok untill I resized the secure zone. Now when I open PM I get an error message. "PM has detected an error 113 on the partition starting at sector 16065 on disk 2. This partition overlaps another partition or the end of the disk. PM has determined that the file system can be truncated from ###sectors to ###sectors. Would you like PM to fix this error?

I select "No" and PM opens. it shows disk 1 partitions C&D. Disk 2 doesn't show any partition drive letters (should be E&F) it just says its "BAD".

On disk 2 partition E is for Photoshop scratch disk and partition F is for backups of disk 1. I have backups on an external drive so I could delete the partitions on disk 2 and start over.

Has anyone run into this problem in PM when they resize their secure zone? Any suggestions on a better way to do this? Would it be better not to use a secure zone and any partition resizing be done in PM?

Appreciate any advice.

Don

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You cannot create a secure zone inside an existing partition. When you create a secure zone TI takes space that is unallocated or from an existing partition but the resulting secure zone is not within the partition that TI has taken space from.

You don't need to create a F: partition, for your purposes you only need C:, D: and E:. If you create E: partition on disk 2 and it occupies the whole disk then you can create a secure zone and TI will ask you how big to make it (there is a slider for this so you can adjust the size) and TI will take the amount of space that you want for the secure zone from the E: partition and the E: partition will be resized accordingly.

The secure zone created like that will not be partition F: as secure zone is 'invisible' to the operating system (except through administrator function) and it is not given a drive letter. This protects it from most virus and trojan or rogue programs and is why it is called secure zone.

As for your PM messages I couldn't comment as I don't use it. I would suggest that if your system is working ok that PM may be telling you something spurious.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Don,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Sometimes Partition Magic does show the error message after Acronis Secure Zone is created. However, whenever we have a letter from our customer with this problem it appears that all the partitions are ok, every other program works fine and the only program that gives an error message is Partition Magic. That is why I should say that the problem is Partition Magic rather than in Acronis software. I would recommend that you contact PowerQuest (which is a part of Symantec now, if I am not mistaken) concerning this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.