ATI 9 Cloning Help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MRCUR, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRCUR

MRCUR Registered Member

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting here so we will see how it goes.

I have an HP ze2000 laptop with a 60GB 4200RPM drive in it that I want to clone, yes clone NOT image, to a new WD 40GB 54000RPM drive. I purchased the drive, along with a Sabrent Super Slim USB 2.0 enclosure which the drive is now in. I have initialized the drive and formatted it, after my first cloning attempt didn't work. That all went well, but now the cloning still doesn't work.

When I first got the drive, I put it in the enclosure and initialized it since WD doesn't do that at the factory. That was fine and Windows XP Home said that it was active, and had 37GB or so of unpartitioned space. So I downloaded and installed the ATI 9 15 day trial, and that went fine. So I then went through the disk cloning Wizard and first tried Automatic mode. All the options were what I wanted, copy the internal drive, disk 1, to the external dirve, disk 2, and make one big partition on dirve 2, and then copy the MBR over to make the dirve bootable.

When the computer rebooted, it did not recognize the USB drive. So once Windows was back up, I ren the Wizard this time, but went through manual mode and checked what I wanted, same as what the auto mode did. SO the computer rebooted and Acronis found the disk this time, but after like 15 mins. or so, it came up with an error that said, "CANNOT READ SECTION 63 (or something to that effect) OF THE HARD DISK. RETRY, IGNORE" So I did retry, and the same thing happens, while this is going on the HDD is going back and forth between writing (RED LIGHT), and idle (GREEN LIGHT.) So I shut down the computer.

Today when I got home from school, I tried it again in manual mode, but first I partitioned the USB drive with one big 37GB partition in NTFS. So I went through Acronis again, telling it the same thing as before, just adding to kill all the partitions on the USB disk. So then it did the exact same thing as before, the first time it didn't recognize the disk, and then it couldn't read section 63 of the USB disk.

So, where do I go from here? DO I need to RMA the WD HD from Newegg? RMA the USB enclsure? Or is there something else I can do?

No rush, as I have this laptop, my grandmothers, for 7 months. Thanks in advance!

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I think your problem is that WIndows XP will not let you boot from an external USB drive....period.

Here's how you can clone your drive:

1) Boot from the Rescue CD and clone your internal drive to the new external drive. Use auto settings. Choose NOT to delete data from your source drive. Shut down BEFORE you reboot. You can't reboot with both drives active or they can get corrupted. Windows doesn't like to see two clones at the same time.

2) Install the clone drive into your laptop and boot up. It should work. After you verify everything's okay you can either set aside your old drive as a spare clone OR better, install it in the USB case, wipe it and use it for IMAGE backups of your new laptop drive.

Let us know what you find.

3. MRCUR

MRCUR Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I undertsand that I cannot have the two drives in at once, when they are cloned. The problem is the cloning, I cannot get the drive to clone. When I ment reboot, I ment when the computer reboots in the pre-OS enviroment for Acronis to do it's thing. That is where I run into the roblems. And,because it is the trial, I do not have the CD to boot off of. So do you have any other suggestions? I'm guessing that something is wrong with the HD, but it works fine when in Windows and putting data on it, or formatting it.

Thanks again,

-MRCUR

4. MRCUR

MRCUR Registered Member

I know I said that this wasn't urgent, but it is now getting urgent. If someone could please help me that would be very nice. I'm getting to the end of my return period from Newegg, so I need to know if you guys think that it is something wrong with the new WD drive.

Thanks,

-MRCUR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.