ATI 9 Backup - Restore failed because of HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ahne, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahne

ahne Registered Member

Hi,

I did a backup with Acroni 9 on a second IDE-HDD.

The backup was ok, no failure showed up.

Than I wanted to restore this backup but the files can not be opened!

A scandisk on the backup HDD showed me, that there were a lot of damaged files.

My question:

Is there any chance to get my backup, about 15 GB back?

The Scandisk was done with Win XP Pro while booting; it took about 2 hours.

Thanky you!

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Did scandisk find errors? If so you may have a bad hard drive that's in need of replacement. Run chkdsk /r on the drive to attempt to repair the errors. You also need to validate the image before restoring. Try again after running chkdsk /r. Also try from the rescue CD. One way to be sure it works is to recreate the image to an external drive, validate it and then restore the image. Tell us what build of V9 you are running.

3. ahne

ahne Registered Member

Thanks!!

What do you mean with "validate"?

I let Acronis check the image. Do you mean that?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is an option on the main screen (TI9) that has a command to validate the archive and also you can find the same command under Tools.

It likely is what you referred to as "checking" the image.

What it does is read the archive and compute a checksum or checksums and compares them with the ones embedded in the file when the archive was created. If it doesn't get exactly the same values it will declare the archive corrupt.

Note that the archive itself may not be corrupt since the different values can be caused by a poor disk interface, especially USB, a bad RAM location which you may well never notice in regular operation, and incompatibility with the Linux drivers used in the rescue environment. For the Linux drivers reason you should validate using the rescue CD environment to establish it works on your PC.

Other validation failures can be caused by system overclocking, too aggressive memory settings and let's face it, just about any hardware failure. TI works well but like most programs it assumes that all of your hardware is in perfect working condition.

5. ahne

ahne Registered Member

OK, thanks!

So I allready did that after I ran scandisk.

It said nothing about failures but the restore, either DOS-Mode or Windows, does either not work propperly or I can not open the folders. Even the folders created by the restore I can not delete.

It is a normal HDD (IDE) Drive. No overclocking.

I will check if the chkdsk /r can help. Can I run this in the normal DOS-Box of Windows XP?

And afterwards I will validate the backup again before restoring. Correct?

6. thomasjk

Open a command prompt in XP and type in chkdsk X: /r where X: is the drive you wish to scan. You will then have to reboot for chkdsk to run.

7. ahne

ahne Registered Member

Is this checkdisk different to the one XP does while rebooting?

When you click on your HDD with right mouse button and click on both buttons. XP does a scandisk while rebooting. That I did. But not from DOS and not with the /r.

8. thomasjk

I'm confused by your statement "When you click on your HDD with right mouse button and click on both buttons. XP does a scandisk while rebooting." I don't see this option at all. Are you sure your not scanning with an Anti-virus? As I said earlier you have to Open a command prompt (Dos window). Click Start--->Run. In the run box type "cmd" without the quites. Then type the following in the window that opens: chkdsk X: /r where X: is the drive you wish to scan. The /r is important because it will have chkdsk repair problems with the drive.

9. ahne

ahne Registered Member

Yes I understand you.

But if you have Windows XP (difference to home version?!) you can choose between just scandisk, or 2 options, which you can activate the same time.

It corrects error while next reboot. And it does so.

I did that with this HDD.

Please try it but I do not know if there is a difference to the DOS command.

10. thomasjk

Here is what my context menu looks like in XP Home. Which one of the choices are you referring to. I don't see what you do. Can you post your context menu? Did you run chkdsk X: /r as I suggested?

Attached Files:

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

ahne is right clicking on the drive letter in Windows Explorer then selecting Properties, then Tools, then Error-checking which brings up a window with 2 tick-boxes.

If you select them both it causes a reboot to check C and it goes through the same 5 steps as a chkdsk C: /r does including a free-space check. (I just did it and it took the same amount of time as typing the chkdsk command). So this is an alternate method to starting up a "DOS" window and typing in the chkdsk command.

12. thomasjk

OK thanks. That explanation I understand. I just couldn't understand his description of what was done.

13. ahne

ahne Registered Member

Thanky you!

But that says that I have no chance to restore the backup-datas? I allready did that! And the restore does not work.

Shall I copy the datas on an other HDD? And try it from there? I doubt that it will work.

What chances do I have?

Is there a software on market to repair the 15 GB Backup file?

14. thomasjk

I would try copying the image file(s) to another HDD and try from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.