ATI 2009 Backup/Consolidation Settings

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MikeV99, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeV99

MikeV99 Registered Member

I am still trying to configure ATI to accomplish the following backup strategy. I have tried different combinations of the settings ...

What I want to do is:

Full Backup 1 + 6 incrementals
    Consolidate Backup 1
    Full Backup 2 + 6 incrementals
    Consolidate Backup 2
    Delete Consolidate Backup 1
    Full Backup 3 + 6 incrementals
    Ditto

Can this be done and if yes, with what settings?

Thanks

Mike

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

We have a batch file that allows to set the desired policy without the consolidation operation.

You can download the file here

Setting up a pre-backup command that will automatically manage the backup files saved to a folder on a local disk (including external drives connected to the local computer).

The batch file provided will allow you to set up a backup retention policy for the backup files saved to a folder on the local drive. Please rename the provided batch file to pre.bat and follow the instructions provided below to set it as a pre-backup command for your backup task.

NOTE: There is no need to edit the batch file provided. The target location, amount of backups and amount of backup sets that you want to keep is specified by providing the corresponding parameters

1. Schedule a daily, weekly or monthly backup task choosing a folder on a local drive as a target location for backup files. Make sure to select the "Create incremental backup if possible" or "Create differential backup archive" option depending on whether you want to create incremental or differential backups.

2. Place the batch file provided into a folder on the local disk (any folder) and then set it as a pre-backup command in the Backup Creation Options specifying the following parameters in the 'Arguments' field dividing them by one space:

E:\Backups 7 3

NOTE: If the path to the batch file contains spaces (for example, C:\batch scripts\pre.bat) then, according to the common Windows Command Line scripting rules, you MUST take it into double quotes (for example, "C:\batch scripts\pre.bat"). Otherwise, the batch file will NOT execute as a pre backup command.
    Path to the backup folder in the form of [drive letter]:\[folder name]. For example, E:\Backups

NOTE: If the path to the target backup folder contains spaces (for example, E:\Acronis backups\) then, according to the common Windows Command Line scripting rules, you MUST take it into double quotes (for example, "E:\Acronis backups\"). Otherwise, the batch file will NOT be able to access the target backup folder.

For example, if you create a daily backup task and want to keep a week worth of backups, set this value to 7.
    Amount of older backup sets you want to keep (there will always be the current backup set and X amount of older sets located in set1, set2, etc. subfolders within the parent backup folder). For example, if you set up a daily backup task and set the amount of backup in each set to 7 then specify 3, if you want to keep 4 weeks worth of backups (you will always have 1 current set and 3 older sets each consisting of ).

Here is what this pre-backup command is going to do

1. Once the amount of backups in the backup folder reaches the predefined limit, it will place the entire set of backups (set = full + a number of incremental or differential backups) to a subfolder named set1, set2, set3, etc.

2. Once the amount of backup sets (set1, set2, set3, etc. subfolders) reaches the predefined limit, the oldest one (set1) will be deleted and the rest will be renamed in the following way set2->set1, set3->set2, etc.

3. If you set up a daily backup task and specify 7 and 3 for the amount of the backups in the backup set and the amount of the older backup sets that you want to keep, you will always have no more than 7 backup files in your backup folder and no more than 3 older sets of backups consisting of 7 backup files each (4 sets total, i.e. the current one + 3 older sets).

NOTE: Note you can specify any other values than 7 and 3. For example, if you only want to keep full and no incremental or differential backups you can set the amount of backups in each set to 1 so each set only consists of one full backup.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. MikeV99

Thank you for the batch file.

What it does is create folders that contain

Full Backup1 + n incrementals
    Full Backup1 + n incrementals
    Full Backupnn + n incrementals

What I wanted to achieve was

Full Backup1
    Full Backup2
    Full Backupnn + n incrementals

I.e., I see no reason to keep the old incrementals with the historical backups with the availability of the consolidate feature.

Are you recommending the batch file because

1. It is not possible to configure the system to achieve what I want?
    2. The consolidate feature does not work correctly?
    3. Or ?

Thanks again

Mike

4. MikeV99

I have installed the bat file and we shall see how well it runs.

How would one go about modifying it to run consolidation on the old set folders after they are renamed?

Mike

5. MikeV99

The batch file gets into an infinite loop and never exits. I had to kill the process, delete the task, and reboot. I have rebuilt my backup task without the batch file.

What I am trying to do should not be rocket science, but it appears to be too complicated to accomplish.

*** Update ***

I moved pre.bat to the C:\ root directory and things seem to be running. Really won't know for a week since I am using 7 3 as arguments.

Now how about incorporating consolidate.vb into pre.bat?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MikeV99,

Thank you for taking time to contact us.

I will create a request to implement the consolidation. Maybe, the possibility to consolidate the archives will be added.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. blee

blee Registered Member

What impact, if any, does the use of these batch files have on TI2009's internal database which tracks the archive files? If TI's database isn't updated to reflect the batch file changes then what use is that database?

8. MikeV99

Pre.bat runs before the backup task. ATI 2009 has no problems keeping track of the backups.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.