ATI 11: Trouble with compressed files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rippy, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippy

Rippy Registered Member

Here something I noticed the other day.

I'm doing a daily backup of my Outlook PST folder (see why here) when I hit this error:
    Code:
    Failed to backup file or folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
        Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0A30
    Snapshot read failed. (0x10C45A)
        Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AD23
    The parameter is incorrect (0xFFF0)
        code = 80070057)
        Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8AF: Retry/Ignore/Cancel: User replied: Retry
    I inspected the folder being backed up and noticed that the file in question that was causing the error (archive.pst) had been compressed the last time I had run a Win XP Disk Cleanup. I opened the file properties dialog box for said file and unchecked "compress contents to save disk space". When I ran the backup again, it backed up without error.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced errors when backing up files that have been compressed by Windows.

I wonder if compressed files are to blame, at least in part, for the well documented ATI 11 stalling problems.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rippy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

We would like to inform you that our Development Team is aware of the problem, and they are working on fixing it. Most likely it will be fixed in future versions of Acronis True Image. We are sorry, but the exact time isn't defined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Davy

Davy Registered Member

Hello Rippy,

Last year between September and December I had extensive discussions with Acronis Tech Support regarding the problem you are currently having with compressed files. I just checked my records and found that there were 110 back and forth emails involved. When I first determined that it was only compressed files (and not ALL compressed files) that were causing True Image 11 to stall, I developed a program that would uncompress these files at the click of a button. When I did this TI would backup my documents without problems. The trouble was that XP would often recompress these files and also compress files that had not been compressed before. I made sure that automatic compression of my hard drive was turned off and I did not run Windows Disk Cleanup, but files were still being compressed. Out of the thousands of files that I had compressed only about 80 of them caused TI to stall. After decompressing the files I could run TI no more than two or three times before I would run into trouble again and have to decompress. This made automatic backups impossible to run. I sent Acronis Tech Support copies of compressed files that were causing the problem (although through email they were decompressed) and loads of detailed information that I was gathering about the problem. On 27-Dec-07 I received this reply "Please note that our Development team is currently working on this issue. As soon as they get results we'll receive an automated notification and contact you." Four months later I still have not had a confirmation that the problem has been fixed and there has been no further update to Build 8053. I tried to find out if I was the only person having these problems with compressed files, but Tech Support would not respond to this question. Now I know that I am not alone. I had no problem with TI v10 and I like the features of the v11 but I had to give up on TI as it was becoming too much to handle. I hope they fix the problem soon.

4. Rippy

Rippy Registered Member

Here's another problem I discovered concerning ATI 11 and files compressed by Windows using the NTFS compression: Checksum errors and CRC mismatches!

I discovered after restoring files from a number of TI backups that:
    • Some of the restored files which had been backed up from originals with NTFS compression produced a mismatch error when tested against an SFV file made of the originals just prior to back up, as well as the MD5 checksums made earlier.
    • A file that produced a mismatch error when restored from one backup archive, also produced a mismatch error when restored from other backup archives made earlier, provided that this backup was also made after the original file had been NTFS compressed.
    • Mismatch errors were found in files restored from BOTH DATA BACKUPS AND PARTITION IMAGES. The same files that produced a mismatch error when restored from a data backup, also produced a mismatch error when restored from a data backup.
    • The majority of the restored files which had been backed up from originals with NTFS compression did NOT produce a mismatch error. (But if you ask me, even one mismatch error is one too many.)
    • NONE of the restored files which had been backed up from originals WITHOUT NTFS compression produced a mismatch error.
    • None of the original files in question tested positive for corruption; nor had any of them been modified since they were created.

The bottom line is that ATI 11 appears to be unreliable when it comes to being able to backup and faithfully restore a file that Windows has compressed using NTFS compression.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This is just plain scary. If the problem only existed for file backups, it would be bad but perhaps understandable. However, that this can affect an image backup, which should be just sector reads without any knowledge of the content, is horrible.

Obviously, something fundamental changed with TI 11. I suspect that it is related to the ability to exclude files from image backups. Add an unnecessary feature and destroy essential functionality. That's bad.

6. Rippy

Rippy Registered Member

I should add that I uncompressed a few of the files that originally failed to verify, and did a fresh backup of them. When restored, those files then did pass the checksum test.

7. Rippy

Rippy Registered Member

Here's something else to scare you.

Let's say that you make a full backup archive. Let's take as an example one of the folders backed up by that archive in which none of the files have yet been NTFS compressed by Windows. Now, let's say Windows goes ahead and compresses files in that folder. The next time you do an INC or DIF backup of that folder, ATI will do a new backup of those newly compressed files, even if you have not modified, moved, or renamed them since the last full backup. Thus, if you go ahead and then make a new full back up archive including that folder, and delete the previous one that had the backup made prior to the compression being done, you may be screwed.

Oh, and I accidentally discovered while Googling that Windows Home Server also has problems with NTFS compressed files. However, M$ actually claims to have a fix.

So where's Acronis's fix? Could they been even lamer then M$?

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Rippy,
    I take it that you are refering to TI files backup and not to Image backups of drives/partition.
    I have used Drive/Partition imaging for years and have never come across any distortions caused by any of the TI versions I have used. I stopped "progressing " at Version 10.

I have never considered using TI files backups as this facility to my mind is a superflous add on because all files are included in backup images in the first place.

There are many other ways to have extra copies of data files that are already compressed and I have in the past used one which kept them in sync and their native format.
    Even Ctrl-C-V still get an airing from time to time :)

Xpilot

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rippy,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that it's normal that Acronis True Image backs up files that were compressed since the last backup again, as compressing the files actually changes the data on drive (NTFS compression uses LZ77 algorithm).

Regarding the problem with compressed files not being restored correctly: could you please clarify, have you performed backup and restore operations from Windows or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media? In case of an image, did you restore the whole disk/partition, or files and folders?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.