ATI 11: archive corrupted?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TuxHater, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuxHater

TuxHater Registered Member

I´m using Acronis True Image 11 and I have a big problem:
    After the Backup is finished, I burn the two archives (splitted because of the image size) onto two blank DVDs. When I want to use these DVDs to recover another PC, I´m always getting the error message that the file is corrupted! But this only happens if I use the archive on the DVDs! Using the same archive from a network share ore an USB-HDD works without any problem! o_O

I already checked the basic conditions. It depends not on the computer itself, the burning prog, the DVDs or the drive. I also turned off the compression.

Has anybody the same problem like me or an ideao_O
    Thanks in advance!

TuxHater

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You should read the word "corrupted" as "ATI cannot read". The reason ATI cannot read could be because one or more bytes have been corrupted/changed or because the drive or computer isn't performing properly and is not sending the correct read data from the disk to ATI (e.g., bad connectors/contacts, slightly bad memory), or ATI's drivers aren't performing properly with your hardware -- this is suspected by many to be the most common reason for backup "corruption".

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Sheiber's first sentence should be put in 48pt flashing letters on the top of this forum - it is right on the mark.

Did you use your burning program's "verify after burning" feature?

Can you do TI's validate successfully either in Windows or the TI rescue CD (I doubt if this one works given your post)?

Another test is to calculate the checksum of one of the TI archive files, write it down, and then burn the file to DVD (you probably have it on a DVD already unless you threw it away).

Run the checksum calculator on the file on the DVD - you must get the same result.

Copy the file back from the DVD to the PC and run the checksum calculator on the copied file. It also must be the same. Any change in the checksum indicates a bad transfer for some reason probably hardware.

Since you can use the archives successfully from other devices I'll not tell you to use memtest86+, V1.7 free from www.memtest.org to check your RAM.

4. TuxHater

TuxHater Registered Member

Thanks for your advices. But I´ve tried out everything of it without a good result. I used 3 different burning progs, 2 different blank DVD´s, 2 different DVD-writers. All PC´s involved are direct out of the box from Dell, so I venture to doubt that the RAM is damaged. Anyhow I checked it successfully.

I also verified the DVD directly after the burning and later with md5, the checksums are absolutely identic!

In the past, I made some bad experiences with the Dell chipsets. So I passed through the same procedure with another non-Dell PC with exactly the same results.

So what remains? Only ATI11 itself! Before ATI11 I used ATI9 without having any problems. I only changed to 11 because 9 does not recognize the chipsets of the latest Dell Optiplexes...

5. shieber

You are, imo, absolutely correct. ATI has a problem on some setups where it cannot read or validate or restore backups that it makes -- change all the memory chips and scan all the drives you want and it won't help, at least not in some of these situations. This was true with eariler versions, where it was rare, and more so with 11 where it seems to be more common. ATI 11 has a new linux engine and so a new set of drivers and Acronis is still trying to piece it together into something broadly workable. We might be a release or two away from that.

Otoh, one of the many iso files that Tech Support can offer for making a bootcd might work for your setup.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Agree, given the testing results it certainly points to a Linux driver type issue. Problem should be reported via a support ticket to Acronis who will, as Sheiber said, provide you with a different boot CD iso. This will ensure the problem is documented and hopefully fixed in a subsequent build of TI.

BartPE or the Vista equivalent is another option to create a CD that uses the Windows environment and likely will work.

7. shieber

Collecting the info that they will ask you to get will also help Acronis gird up the programming to better handle hjardware set ups such as yours.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TuxHater,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.