ATI 10, slow backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dirtnapper, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Registered Member

I just bought ATI 10 this week. I did a disk image of "C" in in the Secure Zone with no issues, and about 20 mins. However, when I went to backup docs, which is 72.6 gig, to my DVD it took 8 hours! :blink: I was disconnected from the net and my AV and firewall were off, and no other work going on. Needless to say, it was somewhat a lost day. I would have backed up to HD(maybe faster), but the other drive was low on space, and I would like a backup copy to be elsewhere anyway. Is that about "normal"? Also, somewhat annoying - I found that during the compare, the program did not eject the DVD, just popped a message and I had to hit "eject" and close the tray, unlike during backup, each disk was ejected. If I was not watching I would have wasted more time. Comments. Thanks,

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Consider using an external hard drive, instead of dvd media, for your primary backup media. It is much much faster than any optical media. Afterwards if you want your backup images on dvd, use Nero or similar to burn it.

3. Dirtnapper

Correct me if I am wrong: So, I should set the Archive Splitting to 4.7 gig since that is what my DVD's are. I can then make the back up to the hard drive and I will see "x" number of files for the back up instead of 1 big file, which I can just copy each one to CD later? Thanks.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes you can do that.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dirtnapper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As Ralphie mentioned, creating images directly on CD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW might take considerably more time than it would on a hard disk.

You could follow thomasjk directions and use "Archive splitting" option (Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options). The backup will then be split into multiple files of the specified size. Later you will be able to burn the archive to CD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. Dirtnapper

I did the archive splitting, and it seems to save some time. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.