ATI 10 isn't automatically deleting old backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Brian Kendig, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig Registered Member

I'm using Acronis True Image 10. I set up a backup location and told it that the maximum storage space to use is 100GB. But now, after a few months, it's filled up that space and it's refusing to make any more backups.

Am I using this feature wrong? How do I set ATI to automatically delete older backups to make way for newer ones?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

When you set up the Task and you selected the locatin for the backup, are you sure that you set the target as the location listed under Backup Location and not the directory name that also occurs farther on down the list?

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Perhaps I don't understand your post, but 'automatically delete older backups' is not really a feature most would want.

There are valid reasons to want individual/multiple backup files, such as quick reversion to a choice of previous system configurations.

If what you want to do is simply maintain one frequently-updated backup archive, simply backup to the same named backup archive file name. You'll be prompted about replacing that named backup. Say yes.

Hope this helps!

4. Brian Kendig

shieber: Yes, I set the backup destination to the Backup Location and not to the specific directory.

gud4U: I want a set-and-forget backup solution, so that Acronis True Image will automatically back up my documents every night and, if it's out of space on the backup drive, automatically delete the oldest backups to make room. I thought this was the purpose of being able to set a size limit on a Backup Location?

If a Backup Location isn't supposed to do this, then how do I manage my backup drive when it gets full? It's got one huge original full backup on it, and piles of incremental backups. If I delete the full backup or any of the incrementals, then the backup will no longer be usable. Is there any solution other than deleting all the backups and starting over with a new full backup?

5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    According to me you do it the right way and it should work as you are expecting it to work.
    It's what I do and it works.I also had such a problem in the past.
    I solved it by cancelling everything and created a brand new task.

6. Brian Kendig

I'll give that a try. I'm also going to double-check that the volume isn't filling up before the backup location reaches its maximum size. (that is, maybe I have my maximum size set to 100MB but there's only 70MB left on the drive, for example).

Thank you for the tips!

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"It's got one huge original full backup on it, and piles of incremental backups. If I delete the full backup or any of the incrementals, then the backup will no longer be usable"

The same would be true if TI deleted any of the files. Perhaps, that's why it didn't. If your task is set to create INCs, what other choice would TI have?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Brian Kendig,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also collect the acronis_backup_place.cfg file from the Acronis Backup Location folder.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.