ATI 10 & 11 Problem & Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob_T, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

I had to reinstall ATI-11 on my Vista HP computer.

When trying to create a backup location, it locks up after first screen (choosing BU location).

I uninstalled ATI-11, and installed ATI-10. It behaves the same!

I shut-down ZAP, & Nod32 while installing and it made no difference

Any help will be welcomed.

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Delete all sub keys under:

HKCU\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces

3. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

Mustang- I do not have the regisy entry you mention.

It's funny, because ATI was working fine when I was dual booting with XPP/VHP.

The current install is a complete new clean on for Vista.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Are you sure? HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Do you have anything under HKCU\Software\Acronis?

After a fresh install with no defined backup locations, you should have something like is shown in the attached image.

If it is not there, that would explain why you have a problem.

Attached Files:

• Reg.jpg
      Reg.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

FWIW, here is what I did to hopefully solve the problem.

I uninstalled ATI.

I used Reg. First Aid Platinum to remove entries for "Acronis", and "trueimage"- would you believe there was 409 of them? It left 3 on board that referred to "devices".

I removed the leftover files in the drive that contained ATI's program, and, removed whatever else I could find in Vista's folders that I could access.

I made a restore point at this time, just to be cautious.

Rebooted.

Installed ATI once again. It asked for both my new key (for 11), and, my old key (for 10)- this is a clue that you might be going in the right direction?

I had made a backup of both my HDs to a new 750 Gb Seagate external drive prior to the above steps.

ATI again did not let me create a "backup location". I cursed a bit, and, almost decided to use Retrospect , or even worse the Memeo program that came with the Seagate Freeageat Pro.

But, my next step was to create a backup task using the backup folder I made on the FAP drive. Previously, I had tried to create the backup location before this, only to have the program freeze again (holy s**t) !!!!! I have looked at the documents for the program, and, ATI's KB, FAQs and forum without finding any info on taking steps in any logical (illogical?) way- except it seemed to me that a first step would be to create a backup location, and then, use it to do more advance things!

Boy, was I surprised when the create backup location progressed after picking a "backup location" and once again let me define parameters for the location.

I am surprised that no one from Acronis has answered my cry for help, and, so far, my request for technical help by Email.

It may be that I still am not using the program correctly, and, that when I need to restore some data it will not work. But, I EXPECTED MORE FROM ACRONIS THAN WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED SO FAR IN SUPPORT!!!.

I have checked the forum part that should send me "instant replies", but, so far this has not worked for me.

6. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

Unable to make Backup Location in Windows Vista

Here is a post I made to a problem I have had with ATI 11/10 that was not addressed by any ATI gurus. My problem was the inability to create a "backup location" for the prgram could use to do it's thing (make backups).
    I have used untold hours trying to solve the problem.

I have been using ATI for years with debatable results.

Anyhow, here is my story- which is a copy of a post I made below to my original cry for help.

FWIW, here is what I did to hopefully solve the problem.

I uninstalled ATI.

I used Reg. First Aid Platinum to remove entries for "Acronis", and "trueimage"- would you believe there was 409 of them? It left 3 on board that referred to "devices".

I removed the leftover files in the drive that contained ATI's program, and, removed whatever else I could find in Vista's folders that I could access.

I made a restore point at this time, just to be cautious.

Rebooted.

Installed ATI once again. It asked for both my new key (for 11), and, my old key (for 10)- this is a clue that you might be going in the right direction?

I had made a backup of both my HDs to a new 750 Gb Seagate external drive prior to the above steps.

ATI again did not let me create a "backup location". I cursed a bit, and, almost decided to use Retrospect , or even worse the Memeo program that came with the Seagate Freeageat Pro.

But, my next step was to create a backup task using the backup folder I made on the FAP drive. Previously, I had tried to create the backup location before this, only to have the program freeze again (holy s**t) !!!!! I have looked at the documents for the program, and, ATI's KB, FAQs and forum without finding any info on taking steps in any logical (illogical?) way- except it seemed to me that a first step would be to create a backup location, and then, use it to do more advance things!

Boy, was I surprised when the create backup location progressed after picking a "backup location" and once again let me define parameters for the location.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Bob_T, please accept our profound apologies for the delay with the response and for not having the issue resolved in time. However we are glad to know that the problem has been solved and that Acronis Software works fine for you now.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us any time and we will do our best to assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

9. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

GroverH-

Thanks for the link, and help. The link oulines what I have been doing without success. Only, after as an example trying to create a backup location such as c:\backup as suggested, the next thing that happens is a new blank window appears with the ATI program locked up. I have to close it with the Task Manager! In other words, and as I have been saying- I am unable to create a backup location in the way that the ATI documents, and your link describe,

Alexi- I am still waiting for a response from your tech support to my issue from an Email request sent last week!.
    It is appreciated that you did respond to my cry for help.
    But, you did not get involved in explaining why I am not able to create a backup location in the way ATI describes with both ATI-10 and ATI-11 with Vista HP. I did not have this problem with ATI-10 or 11 when I was dual booting them.
    How am I supposed to know that what seems like a work-around is a solution to the problem I have been outlining?
    I am worried that when I have a problem where I need to recover some files or even worse , ATI will not be there if I need it.
    Alexi- I really would like to have a little more feedback on this issue!

Well- looks like I got overly enthused about being able to create a backup location.
    Since posting above, I tried to create a backup location for my Outlook Email data and settings. Could not create one no matter what I tried.
    Sure hope Alexi happens to drop by again!! I seem to be right bac where I started, except for the one Backup location I was able to create with backup parameters (size, number of BUs to keep, days).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.