At least four Certificate Authorities have been compromised in the past four months

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I actually like the cert system even if it is a bit broken. Whitelisting is kinda cool when used properly, even if it does have some issues.

If certs were tier'd it would work a lot better imo.

Thanks for the article.

3. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

4. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Just got back from the future. While I was there I was reading an article entitled:

"Worlds first infected motherboard with a signed UEFI secure-boot using a stolen certificate from Authority-X"

I thought that was really interesting so I added an additional 1.21 gigawatts to the flux capacitor and traveled 88 months further into the future. The headlines there read something like:

"Security researchers have discovered that GovernmentAgencyX has been using malware to replace the UEFI on most of the motherboards used by NationY's research facilities. Conspiracy theorists claim the CA willingly gave GovernmentAgencyX the keys."

Unfortunately I am all out of plutonium and Ununpentium so I don't know how the story ends.

-MessageBoxA

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The problem with this being that not all certificates are considered valid and UEFI would not accept any signed list. Otherwise anyone can self-sign and boot whatever they want.

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

CA I did not know that "Computer Associates" was that popular. Ah! I forgot you are talking about the future. :D.

Thanks.

7. MrBrian

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Any good ones that weren't hacked?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.