asus motherboard and printer issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, since yesterday my motherboard is producing random beeps but in the manual i cant find any infomation about the beeps so i cant decode them.
    today i had to use the last known good configuration to boot in to windows xp home.
    now my printer cant be reconised by windows correctly the error is RPC server is unavalible.
    any ideas what the rpc server is?
    removable storage service was set to manual and not started.
    so i set it to automatic and rebooted the pc and it is now started but the error is still there.
    when i was on my dad's account i sometimes got errors about ipoint.exe which is to do with my Microsoft mouse driver which leads me to belive it could be a usb problem. but I havent got errors about ipoint.exe for a while now.
    i thought i would post here just incase you can help me sort out the problem with rpc server error with the printer but if its a usb motherboard problem it probaly wont be able to be fixed for now but suggest ides anyway.
    any ideas?
    i have already posted at the Asus forum to see if they have any idea what i could do if its a motherboard issue.

2. noway

noway Registered Member

You could check Google, searching for whoever makes the BIOS, using keywords (for AMI for example) AMI BIOS beep...here's an example for AMI:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

You could carefully look inside and make sure fans are running, check temperature using BIOS info or another utility such as Everest...or shut down the PC and check for dust and that everything is seated properly..run tests for memory errors...see if you can find out where the beep is coming from...
    leave the case cover off (careful) for awhile??

On my computer I have Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service set to auto...and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service set to manual

You could check Google, searching for RPC server unavailable.

You could also try removing peripherals and see how that goes...or some of them may be able to use other interfaces such as PS/2 or serial, etc...just to help narrow down the trouble spot.

3. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Remote Procedure Call is a bit like what it says it is :) It's a way of a client accessing a procedure on a server across a network (it can happen between client and server on the same machine). I first came across it on SunOS a long time ago (it's used for NFS) but it's cross platform and widespread.

It should show up with the following settings in services.msc :

http://ossian.myby.co.uk/rpc.png

Phasechange :ninja:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i uninstalled all the printer stuff and done a complete reinstall and all is great!
    i then had two printers under printers so i got rid of the one that done work and now its called copy1:D
    ill rename it later.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.