Asus eeePC + Xubuntu 16.04 - Engage!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 3, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Old but gold: Here's a review of Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus running on an eight-year-old Asus eeePC netbook, covering long but successful upgrade process, reuse of programs and settings, applications, media playback and streaming, Samba access, printing, performance, responsiveness, multi-tasking, resource usage, hardware compatibility, amazing battery life, other observations, and more. Should be interesting.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/eeepc-xerus.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Xenial Xerus offers periodic kernel upgrade but there is a third party kernel utility that allows you to update to the latest kernel, well beyond what Ubuntu offers.

Ukuu Kernel Update Utility - a third party PPA from teejee-2008.

The 2 point release fixed a lot of bugs. And there are still more point releases due until 2018 when a new LTS version comes out.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm sure MATE would run equally well on that ancient eeePC netbook. I didn't like the new Brisk menu offered for 17.04 - no preferences settings.
    I'd stick with the Linux Mint slab menu.

4. drache

drache Registered Member

I have an old HP Mini running Xubuntu 16.04 just fine. Xubu is the gift that keeps giving.

5. guest

guest Guest

@Mrkvonic what about touchscreens implementation? i have a similar mini-laptop with touchscreen; in the past, it was quite "average"

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Mine doesn't have touch, so can't say.
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.