ASUS Eee PC

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

A friend just purchases a ASUS Eee PC that has a 7 inch monitor. I think it uses Linux.

Anyone here with experience using one of those? I wonder if it would be suitable for a college student?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

there are some threads mentioning it.
    It has 2 versions, 1 with linux and one with xp.
    From what I've seen, it's perfect for light college work (email, doc processing, spreadsheets, etc), but don't expect it to run heavy software.
    It's main function is to act as a backup PC for when on the road.

Check out this page

www.eeeuser.com

there are some reviews on youtube also.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's ok if you're not:

a gamer

video editing

need Windows programs that don't run on Wine. Like some CAD & architecture programs & others.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks both of you. I don't have a need for one right now, but the small size and weight are tempting. I will take a look when I replace my laptop. Maybe sooner.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

My friend has one, added a 4gb memory card and makes a great portable machine. Great for email, web, light word processing and similar tasks.

They have just announced one with a bigger screen that looks tempting, more ram and drive space as standard.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The eee is great if you're looking for portability while being able to do everyday things. I recently took it with me on my overseas holiday and it worked great for wireless web browsing, playing movies & music etc...plus its light so you hardly even notice that you're carrying it. The default xandros OS is simple and easy to use even for a novice plus it boots up in less than 30 secs.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks again, for the information. As I said I do not need such right now, but in the future I might take a serious look. I do not need a lot of capabilities.
    I don't do gaming or download music or have many photos on my machines. I do make some greeting cards and have some photos for those. I assume I could install greeting card programs and do whatever was needed. I do a little photography and have probably a gig or so there.

I think for me, however, I am more inclined to get a 12 or 13 inch notebook.

I do appreciate the comments, and they are very helpful.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I just got mine roughly a week agi, and I love it! I am disabled and it is sometime very difficult to type with one hand, although I've become vrey good at it over the years. One reason why I bought the EEE PC was because it had a small keyboard and was very light weight.

As far as I am aware there is only ine version, which retail for about $350. There is a version with a case available for $400 but the system is the same. The EEE PC only runs linux, at least as a default. It can be made to either run Linux with the KDE enviroment on XP. But it ships with a simple modified version of Linux.

Other than that, it really is a cross between a 'real' system and a portable hardware word processor, which I used to use before. It uses OpenOffice for greater compatability. Ut also has a three hour battery life. And yes, it's great for college students. It is also very good because I can use it on my lap if I want to write sections of my novel outside.

Not to sound like a commercial, but I really love my EEE PC. It is easy for me to use yet it is very effective.

9. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I haven't used it but my friend has it. Personally, i would not suggest buying since it is too small to do any productive task. I think 7inch screen is too small to do any "college work" or to type frequently.

10. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.