ASUS bloatware hack? It ran powershell to install a windows app.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jannee, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Jannee

Jannee Registered Member

ASUS laptop, some bloatware services still running
    Win10 up to date
    Avira AV
    Malwarebytes
    HitmanPRO
    Voodooshield free
    OSarmor

A few days ago i received an alert from voodooshield, something triggered powershell to install a windows store app named 'alexa'. The VS log showed that the parent app was asussoftwaremanager.exe.
    command: c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe get-appxpackage -name *alexa* | out-file -filepath 'c:\users\xxx\alexaisinstalled.txt

It freaked me out so i went on google and found out that the asus update service was hacked in 2019, hackers were able to install backdoors though the asus service. Did this perhaps happen again?
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/pan...o-install-backdoors-on-thousands-of-computers

A screenshot from voodooshield:
    https://i.ibb.co/pZNM9X2/asuspowershell.png

Windows search can't find any (hidden) folders or files named alexa, there's also nothing to be found in the registry or local windows store apps.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so Alexa isn't actually an app on the MS Store? This is weird indeed. The best thing you could do is to monitor for any suspicious processes and registry keys, you could do this via Process Explorer and AutoRuns.

And of course I suppose you already scanned the system with Avira and Malwarebytes. And make sure to block outgoing connections from the Asus Software Manager, you probably don't need it anyway. You could use a firewall like TinyWall.

3. plat

plat Registered Member

I have ASUS Update Check enabled in the UEFI but it has never shown any activity whatsoever. That's the only ASUS thing allowed on here.I disabled it at first but this resulted in a number of errors in Event Viewer so I grudgingly allowed it.

I refuse Armoury Crate though. If that's the software you're referring to, you can get rid of it without a problem. It's a good point about the firewall. You can block any number of outbound activity from certain apps, also in Windows Firewall.

4. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

That's why I do a clean install for every pc/laptop I have. They just have preinstalled software that often has security holes that late/never get fixed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.