Assembly - finding the function at a given address

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gullible Jones, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Currently I'm looking at the object dump of a trojan (supposedly a TDSS variant). I'm doing this on a Linux virtual machine using objdump.

I want to find what API functions the trojan calls. I think I've already tracked down most of the the native API ones that use interrupts, and those are interesting as it is; but I don't know what other stuff it does.

I also did a dump of the headers, but the addresses being used for 'call' instructions and those in the headers are obviously different. I figure there must be some formula for deriving the former from the latter. Can anyone tell me what the formula is? I've been Googling on this for a while; nothing so far.

And yes, I'm a newbie at malware analysis. I'm doing this strictly for educational purposes. First native API calls, then Win32 API calls, then figuring out the flow of execution and what arguments and data are being used; until I (hopefully) have a picture of how it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.