Ashampoo Free Firewall & Avast

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MerleOne, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,
    I recently decided to remove my "old" Sygate firewall from my XP Home machine because it consumed too much CPU. I tried Rising free firewall, but it disturbed my home lan (other windows machine couldn't see my Pc all the time). I removed it and tried Ashampoo Free Firewall. It seemed to be ok at first, however I just realized today that Avast 6 was not updating its signatures any longer. After the Ashampoo F/W was removed, Avast worked again.

I just need a single feature : to block or authorize outgoing connections. Is there a recommendation ? Thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. jasonblake7

jasonblake7 Registered Member

Private Firewall which others will also recommend on here runs fine with avast 6.
    Light on resources.

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

I would not use ZoneAlarm free as its heavy on resources and increases boot up speed lots.

3. MerleOne

Thanks a lot. I'll try it soon.

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

If you're not limiting your choice to freebies, and considering what you are looking for as an ideal candidate fw, Look 'n' Stop should be another excellent option to consider.

5. MerleOne

Thanks ! My requirements are pretty basic : no local network blocking of any kind ( I have a shared printer on this XP machine, plus several folders I want to share) and a learning mode for outgoing connections. Plus very little system load (it's a 6 years old PC...).

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i would go with either ZA firewall or PCTOOLS which are light on resources and very easy to administrate

7. MerleOne

Hi,

I have tried yesterday Ghostwall and Personal Firewall. I had to uninstall both :
    - Ghostwall cannot learn which application is allowed to establish outbound connections, you can only specify manually the authorized IP addresses AFAIK. Too bad, since it seemed very light
    - Personal Firewall : the learn mode is implicit apparently, you don't get asked for confirmation when an application launches an outbound connection. And there are many added HIPS features I don't need at all.
    - I didn't tried LnS (seems complicated and many people seem to report issues here on Wilders)

I have reverted to Sygate. Too bad for the CPU usage, but at least it works as expected.

I had very bad experience with ZA in the past, so next time I'll want to change F/W, I'll probably try PCTools.

Thanks all for your advices.

8. guest

guest Guest

Try FortKnox Personal Firewall

it is a update to the old Sygate Firewall
    me thinks?? or at least it looks like it
    seems to work OK
    although I believe the best one would be "Look n Stop"
    but there is a learning curve to it:thumb:

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

You should give Rising Firewall a spin.It worths.

10. MerleOne

I think I am using the last released version of Sygate PF.

Edited : sorry, I read too fast. I'll include FPF in my check list ! Thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  11. MerleOne

Thanks, but I already tried. It's rather technical to set up, but the bad part is that it messes up my home network. Sometimes the PC on which it is installed is not seen by the others, and locally the "net view" command gives an error message saying there is no list of servers available.

After I removed it, the network features started to work again.

12. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Weird I haven't had problems with Rising firewall. Although last version I tried was 2008. Have you tried Sunbelt Firewall ?

13. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

How about Keiro Personal Firewall 2.1.5? No hips, just in/out bound control, the best I recall, and it's very light.
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html#Kerio

14. MerleOne

No, I don't think so. Currently I am using again the old Sygate...

15. MerleOne

Thanks, I didn't try it yet, but will add it to my list of potential candidates.

16. mobiclue

mobiclue Registered Member

Change Ashampoo Firewall settings to learning mode. After this it will prompt a box when an application tries to connect the internet. Allow all Avast modules-then the update would work fine.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is a golden oldie. It's great if you're running WinXP, but it won't work on Vista or Win7.

As to a replacement for Asham FW (burp), I recommend Private FW (supports 32-bit & 64-bit Windows 7 & Vista; Win XP 32-bit only).

18. MerleOne

I tried just that (all of it), but it didn't work. Even when I exited the application, all apps were supposed to launch connections, it wouldn't connect.

Only when I uninstalled the app it started to work again.

19. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Since you just need the FW functions (from what I've read you don't want a HIPS) you can do the following: install Online Armor free and disable the HIPS (right click on the tray icon).
    You'll be left with a very light Firewall, easy to use and configurable.

20. MerleOne

Thanks for pointing out this other solution. Actually, something funny has happened : I removed Sygate in the first place because of the high CPU at boot time. After I reinstalled it, the settings for authorized outbound connections and logs were all erased, and I had to authorize manually all legitimate connections. But the CPU high usage was gone ! So I guess it was the state of the database finally !

21. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Sygate hasn't been updated for years. I wonder how safe it is to still use it.
    I know that transmission protocols haven't changed, but how do we know that the product didn't suffer from some flaw(s) at the moment it stopped being devoloped?

22. MerleOne

That's definitely a point, but since I am already behind my router which has its own firewall, and run an up to date AV, I guess I am not too much at risk. I just needed something that manually authorizes outbound connections, for regular apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.