Ashampoo AS = A-squared AS clone ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have the free A-squared anti-spyware and also grabbed the Ashampoo anti-spyware program when there was a free promo floating around. But I have now been told that Ashampoo's product is an OEM of A-squared. Is that true? Is there a link to such info or does anyone know, for sure?

I am assuming I don't need them both (free A-squared for on-demand) if they are pretty much the same. Maybe the A-shampoo is a prior version? It does not have many updates.

Thanks.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes ashampoo uses the a-squared engine, i don't know which version, whether its the current one or an old one.

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just wanted to add here, that although I'm not sure what version of a squared anti-malware it uses, Ashampoo AS seems more than just a clone. In it's Tools section it has things like monitors for Start UP Items and System Processes, and there is a Rootkit Detector which scans for, you got it, Rootkits. You can change use the default color of the GUI, or change it to either dark blue or orange. The main screen is informative with stats of scans done and, with a list of the tasks you can perform by clicking on it. It also shows the date of the last update, and has updated everyday since I installed it 3 days ago. It does use a lot of memory, but runs very light with no perceived slowdowns. The only two critiques I have are. The Icon in System Tray is a white square with a picture of what looks like a faceless policeman in blue with a hat. Also I have'nt found a way to reset the statistics of scans done. Other than that the Preferences section is laid out well and easy to understand, as is the Quarantine section and Logs section. I miss using Spyware Terminator, but for six months free and still only 9.99 to purchase, if this turns out to have top RealTime Protection, it may well be a keeper. And anyone who knows my love of trying new Software will agree, I must really like this "Clone"

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just an aside. After checking both websites of a squared and Ashampoo again I noticed something. Ashampoo claims it uses Heuristics for RealTime detection, while a squared anti-malware explicitly states how it's RealTime IDS Behavior Detection is different than Heuristic detection. This tells me Ashampoo must be using an older version of a squared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.