As Malware Evolves, Are AV Signatures Still Relevant?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DrBenGolfing, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

From: http://www.esecurityplanet.com/netw...evolves-are-av-signatures-still-relevant.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Geez, it seems like we're seeing one of these articles every week or two.

The article talks about signature scanning as if it were exactly the same as it was in the 90's. Do they even bother to look at what the AV vendors are doing these days? I don't think that any of them do the same old scanning as it was done in the beginning; scanning engines are much more sophisticated, with the cloud services and automated analysis, and the heuristics and other real-time protection mechanisms are quite different.

Just coming back here (to Wilders) after several years' hiatus I've been pleasantly surprised at what all the AVs have done, and they're still going. Nothing will ever be 100%, but it seems like they've kept things tamed to a pretty consistent level as the amount of malware has increased so shockingly fast.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Well stated my friend. I for one am getting sick of these types of articles. Where do these people come from?

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

These sites are all over the place. I can't tell you how many of these, what I consider, no-name websites I come across at the top or near it of every Google search for just about every topic. It's probably just a better-made content farm, since just about every article on its front page is found at all the mainstream websites. In regards to the actual article linked, it's the same crap that gets spewed every other week and, of course, whenever another pops up it just has to open up the same tired back and forth discussions. I'm bored of it. Call me when something better comes up, like finding out Steve Ballmer and John McAfee are doing bath salts together (which would totally explain the Energizer-bunny state Steve Ballmer seems to stay in) or Elvis and 2Pac are secretly planning a collaboration album for this summer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Oh dear, there are just too many directions to go with that; all of them inappropriate for polite company. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.