Arrgh can't get restore to work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tsdampier, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsdampier

tsdampier Registered Member

Well your product seemed to work well with my backup. Now I can't get it to restore.

TrueImage workstation v9.1 3886

I am trying to do something simple and clone a hard drive from one machine to another. Now I am using a USB external drive which backs up with no problem. However, using the RescueCD I cannot restore the image to the second machines drive. Everything appears to work but then it just hangs when it starts the copy.

Of course I had a trial version which would not let me do it at first and given the impression that everything else worked okay I bought the software. Then it still did not work :(

I then proceeded to use BARTPE which seems to work for other products and go the ISO built it booted and showed the Acronis plug-in. However, the thing then proceeded to tell me it was an evaluation version and the plugin would not work :(

Arrgh, I can't believe that cloning a disk is so difficult with your software.

1) If you are going to have limited functionality with a trial version then don't do it for a clone or restore and tell people that up front.
    2) If I purchase your software and read the FAQs stating all I have to do is install it over an existing installation then it will fix all of the components installed then actually do that. Something like the plugin is not really usable until I actually try to use the BartPE boot and by then I wasted all that time making an ISO image and it was very frustrating to get a unlicensed version error when the product is licensed.
    3) If you support BartPE then why don't you just include a bootable ISO with the product?

I must say the lack of support for standard out of the box Windows hardware and a USB drive out of the box is not that compelling. By the way a simple SMTP mail daemon on linux would allow for creation and mailing of log files and not floppy disks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I am actually going to have to uninstall your software and then re-install and then re-create my BartPE boot cd :(

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

My recommendation, if the hard drives are of the same type ide or sata, bypass the BartPe Cd. Take the hard drive you want to clone out of the computer it's in , piggyback it into the computer you have true image installed and restore it from their using the windows environment and the saved clone on your external drive. When it's complete reinstalled it back in the the other computer. That's what I would do if I had to have that other computer running right away.
    At least get the easy part out of the way, once you start the new computer there's always a chance it's not going to boot up. Thats when you will have a tough time. My advice if your restored hard drive won't boot up "check your drive letters" before doing any other troubleshooting.
    I use true image 9.0 and have done many backups and restorations and have never used a BartPE cd, sometimes I have problems but I always get my backups to restore.I don't think anyone should spend more than 2 hours to clone and replace a hard drive.
    My final advice is just do "image backups" of your c: drive, it's alot quicker and more reliable than cloning an entire hard drive.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This is a case of following directions. The instructions are to UNinstall the trial version before installing the paid-for version.

At this point, you are correct that you need to uninstall what you have and then install the paid-for version.

As I understand it, you are making a backup image of the first computer to a USB drive (not cloning) and then restoring the image from the USB drive to a second computer. If these have identical hardware, this should be successful. If the hardware is very different, the second machine probably won't boot.

4. tsdampier

Actually I did read it says I don't have to do that here:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/faq/do-i-need-to-uninstall/

According to this it was not necessary. In fact tech support gave me a new build as I assume they missed updating the BartPE stuff in the last build :)

5. tsdampier

I see you have not taken drives in/out of 1U boxes a lot :) I would normally do this but I don't want to have to keep taking the drives in and out and would like to use USB drives to do this. The product copied it onto a USB just seems like they can't get it off on another machine of the exact same configuration :)

6. davidg1

davidg1 Registered Member

"I am trying to do something simple and clone a hard drive from one machine to another. Now I am using a USB external drive which backs up with no problem. However, using the RescueCD I cannot restore the image to the second machines drive. Everything appears to work but then it just hangs when it starts the copy."

Hi, Gates will not let you do that,clone and restore must be done on the same machine, remember windows registers each copy on each individual machine.
    Clone works (same machine), but found image bu and restore works as well ans is more reliable.
    I been using ATI for years and lost track of how many BU/Restores done, also use an external HD via USB no problems, most of your grief is due to trying on different machines.
    good luck
    David

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

To restore to a different computer you have to have the Universal Restore option included with the bootable CD. UR is an extra cost option.
    One workaround which may work for you without having to rely on UR is to change the display to Standard VGA, make the Backup, then Restore this backup to the other computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.