Arovax Shield Version 2.0.70 [as of December 14 2006]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by btman, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

Note: On December 13, Arovax Shield Version 2.0.68.
    Note: On December 14, Arovax Shield Version 2.0.70.

Arovax Shield Version 2.0.62 [November 17 2006]

* New: "Algorithm of work of News tab was upgraded."
    * New: "Minimal waste of the memory."
    * Fixed: "Problems with adding and deleting the great number of the rules."
    * Fixed: "Problems with monitoring of the Windows system policy."
    * New: "Info tab works better!" (That should have been in the actual changelog lol)

I didn't try it by the liveupdate feature in Arovax Shield.... Maybe someone can... But I got it from www.arovaxshield.com their official site :D

*Works with Opera, Firefox and IE.

Great program, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2006
  2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Re: Arovax Shield 2.0.62 FINAL!

I am currently using System Safety Monitor. How would these two products contrast and compare? It looks like they are both nice programs...are there any tests/ratings of the two?

3. btman

btman Registered Member

I don't think theres any test comparing the two, but they should not conflict.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i havent tried the new v2 of Arovax Shield, but v1 was rather light-weight compared to other HIPS like SSM and PG.

why not try it yourself and see what u think?

5. acr1965

So it's ok to run SSM and Arovax Shield at the same time?

6. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I think there should not be any conflicts, just allow it on SSM.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I don't remember Arovax,but by visiting their site,it seems more a competitor of Win Patrol,rather than SSM.I don't think it offers the protection of SSM.But someone may not need something like SSM and this must be lighter and more hassle free.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

Yeah Arovax Sheild, under protection this is what it says

1. Blocks IE Hijacks
    2. Blocks Browser Extensions
    3. Enable IE tracking cookies shield
    4. Enable Firefox tracking cookies shield
    5. Enable Opera tracking cookies shield
    6. Block Auto start sections
    7. Block executable file associations
    8. Guard host files
    9. Guard startup folder
    10. Guard Windows policies

It's not hips though, as theres not many popups lol. And it will ask you to allow or block anything that it protects (unless its tracking cookies) and you can delete any rules you have made. On my computer it always takes less than 5k memory... And is one hell of a nifty program.

9. acr1965

It sounds like the same type of active protection of my CounterSpy anti-spyware program. Although I could see where the lower resource usage would be a plus.

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just want to say that I just installed the new version of Arovax Shield and unlike the last one, it didn't work while two accounts were running at the same time and switching to the other one. I uninstalled it for now and I don't remember what the error no. was. Maybe it is a bug with the Fast User Switching that it must have, because like I said the last version ran fine with two accounts logged on at the same time. Other than that, the improvements were good. It knew I didn't have Opera installed as it was unchecked after install. Also memory usage quite low, and it immediately blocked some FireFox cookies. Oh, my PC had to be shut down manually after uninstall though. This also didn't happen with last version.

11. btman

btman Registered Member

Could you please reinstall and record the error # and post the error.txt log when you have time, and post it here or on the Arovax forums @ forum.arovax.com. Thanks.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Arovax Shield is a poller -- 'nuff said.

13. Hyperion

I just installed it...and uninstalled it right after.I also got the error that it can't find opera (of course,it can't ,i don't have it),but that's a minor thing.What bothered me was that every 10 seconds more or less,i was getting firewall pop up,that Arovax wanted to connect to 70.86.248.210 (which results to Texas).So in uninstalled it.Maybe it's checking for updates,i don't know,but i prefer checking for myself.I didn't see any option to disable auto updates either,so...

14. Hyperion

P.S: That IP is from Arovax allright.

15. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

How good is in detection rates?

Edit: just noticed that is a simple shield, not an AS.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I´m afraid I always got strange/not clear enough alert messages plus it often crashed when turning on/off protection, must have been some conflict, so I removed the older version from my system.

The only thing that I used it for was to monitor my startup folder. And the cookies shield is alo interesting, I´m not sure if I need it though since I often clean all of my cookies with Cookie Monster. But anyway, Neoava Guard covers the same things except for these 2 features.

Does anyone know what the Windows Policies feature is about?

I believe you´re not correct about this, it´s using hooks AFAIK. :rolleyes:

17. btman

btman Registered Member

I believe thats for the INFO tab... It connects to a site that will have updated news.... So go there everyday and see if a new version of Arovax Shield or possibly any Arovax product has been released. If you kept clicking on the info tab... Or put it on the info tab, closed Arovax Shield and re-opened it (it would still be on the info tab) and so it would try and re-connect. This is due to the fact that the last version wouldn't connect on the first try, but now thats fixed. And yeah it doesn't rely on detection, so no such auto-update is made yet. Though there is a live-update feature that should work in this version to update to improved ones.

18. Hyperion

You are right.I installed it again and this time i didn't click the info window and got no popup.As soon as i clicked it,it asked permission outbound.My mistake.

Thanks!I think i ll keep it over WinPatrol.Seems lighter.

19. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

ArovaxShield does not send any personal data to Arovax server.
    It's a solid program that I fully trust.
    :)

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I installed the latest Arovax but it caused so much instability to our computers that I had to do an image restore.

1- Upon installation, Arovax autoloaded itself into a startup spot. I was given no choice in the matter until AFTER I rebooted & Arovax executed.

2- Arovax put an icon into my sytem tray without giving me any choice.

3- Every so often Arovax popped up a message that Opera is missing. Not surprising because I have never installed Opera on my system.

4- After I unchecked the "load-at-startup" button of Arovax, and restarted my computer, Arovax still loaded automatically.

5- When I tried to uninstall Arovax, my firewall popped up a notice that Arovax was trying to call home.

There is one other matter that occurred, but I won't list it as being related to Arovax because I didn't research it. Here are the details...

+I use an integrity checker called Watcher that automatically does a check each time my computer boots.
    +After I installed Arovax, Watcher reported that there were now two versions of svchost.exe on my computer, having differing hashes.
    +After I uninstalled Arovax, Watcher reported that the added/modified svchost.exe was still present. I then decided to restore the image I had made the day before testing Arovax.
    +After the image was restored, Watcher did not find the additional instance of svchost.exe any more. It was gone.
    +I have no idea where the added instance of svchost.exe came from. Also, I did not check to see if the added instance of svchost.exe was benign or malware. I just wanted my computer back to where it was yesterday, and Image for DOS did that for me very nicely.

Needless to say, I have no further interest whatsoever in Arovax Shield.

21. btman

btman Registered Member

Ok... Here it begins..

1. You don't need to reboot after downloading Arovax Shield, atleast i didnt after this latest version, you coulda just ran it.

2. Does kaspersky (or w.e anti-virus program you have) give you a choice to disable the icon? No, most security programs (and even normal ones like msn) don't. It's a protection thing, with no scanner, real time protection, it's not like spywareblaster with download and forget, it's more like spyware guard with much more functionality. (Spyware guard also sits in the tray.)

3. That was fixed in this latest version, hasn't popped up for me since. I can't really comment much more unless i get a screenshot showing arovax shield 2.0.62 and then the opera cannot be found notification.

4. Did you hit APPLY SETTINGS, i just turned off automatic startup and hit apply settings, kaspersky told me that it was attempting to modify startup items I allowed it to... restarted computer... arovax shield was not in tray or in task manager.

5. Lots of things have that... You no where it opens some webpage saying why you disliked their product... I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

6. Arovax might modify svchost.exe for protection purposes? I have no clue, we're working on getting a rep from Arovax come on these boards... So until then I can't answer that.

7. Oh there is no 7... Well I can atleast point out Arovax Shield IS NOT malware related in any way, so if you uninstalled Arovax Shield... It should have been the way it was yesterday, as you have not listed any reason for... why it wasnt like it was.

22. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

I have instaled ProSecurity free version and it goes well with ArovaxShield 2.0.62 , plus with all other security software.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I had a major problem w/ v.1x; when it was deleted, it took most of icons in system tray w/ it. Before I get my feet wet this time, I like to know whether this bug has been fixed?

24. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

It's the first time to hear this.
    You don't have to delete the old version in order to install a new one. Just instal the new in the same folder, it will sit over the old one.
    Please notice that ArovaxShield 2.0.xx requires Win 2000 or XP

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: No, no .This is not I meant. I had v.1x a while back, and for some reasons, I decided to uninstall it, that is when the unfortunate struck. I am asking that will this situation repeat w/ v.2 o_O?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.