ARO 2011 Registry Optimizer

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Advanced Registry Optimizer (ARO) 2011

Someone I know who has a low computer literacy telephoned me yesterday and said he would like a good free Antivirus program for Windows 7. I suggested Avast. He called me today and said that a program called ARO 2011 keeps popping up telling him about all kinds of Registry errors. He said that he tried to download Avast but that something seemed to be stopping him from downloading Avast.

He said that about a week ago a friend upgraded his older PC to Windows 7 and installed 1 GB of additional RAM about a week ago. He said that he has only surfed the web a little with no Antivirus installed.

I searched the web for references to ARO 2011 being a Rogue but found only a slight indication of there being a Rogue called ARO 2011.

Does anyone have any experience with a Rogue called ARO 2011?

Thanks in Advance.

He plans to bring the PC over tomorrow. I plan to try MBAM first. If MBAM will not install, then I will try SuperAntiSpyware Portable. Maybe Dr.Web Cureit's Express Scan. If all of those fail to start, then I will hit it with the AVIRA Rescue CD followed by the above.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. ha14

ha14 Registered Member

3. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Re: Advanced Registry Optimizer (ARO) 2011

Could you add me to your buddy list?I think I have found out something very interesting.

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Re: Advanced Registry Optimizer (ARO) 2011

Not necessarily...you can find ARO 2011 from Sammsoft on Cnet and numbers of downloads can make an impression
    - total downloads 6 596 956
    - last week downloads 81 406
    but rating of users is not high.
    -http://download.cnet.com/ARO-2011/3000-2086_4-10183947.html-
    -http://www.sammsoft.com/Aro2011.aspx-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  5. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

in addition,Excellent Review !! by Softpedia :eek:

-http://www.sammsoft.com/Aro2011.aspx- flagged red by WOT o_O site was acquired by support.com too like SAS ?

If I remember correctly my friend removed this rogue with Rogue Remover (aka MBAM today)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  6. fax

fax Registered Member

Not a rouge but as any registry editor it can mess your system really well.

You should be able to simply remove ARO from WIN7 the control panel - Uninstall a program - if not try with REVO uninstaller. :)

7. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Rogue registry cleaner :D did you find uninstaller command in its folder ? I doubt, you'd find. Best way,use 3rd party uninstaller to remove it :). as Fax said,use Revo.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Rogue registry cleaners aren't more destructive than real ones lol.

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

ARO 2011 is NOT a rogue product. It is part of the Support.com family of products.

10. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I've seen ARO on many infected computers (installed post-infection), and TBH just assumed it to be part of the revenue generation of the malware.

What you say about Avast got my attention. There's also been a few times where I've given someone a direct link to Avast, yet somehow they would end up with ARO instead. I'd only twig when they'd start saying how it fixed all the registry errors! No surprise that they were infected with all sorts.

I can't say whether or not it's just a co-incidence, i.e. the kind of person who gets infected might be the same kind who'd fall for dodge-ware like ARO, or if the malware redirected them to ARO when they tried to download Avast. I can't say for certain if the ARO on infected computers was the same as offered by support.com, but they uninstalled okay (via Revo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.