arkOS - Your data, your rules

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

Is nobody comment on this? is basically the solution of almost all the privacy concerns in this forum

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Just saw this and scanned the main page. Looks nice, but don't have the time to get into it right now. When i do, I may get into it...looks great, thanks! Needed an excuse to get a Pi :D

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I love the idea of self-hosting and distros, appliances, etc which are optimized for that. A server in every home and business, I say! As long as it is open source and it is truly designed to help people achieve privacy, security, and independence.

Broadly speaking, these types of devices have lots of possibilities... Easy publishing on the net. Private syncing across devices. Private cloud storage. Family members could use each other's device for encrypted off-site backups. Secure email and other types of server based messaging become a possibility when the parties involved are using their own personal servers, and there are achievable benefits even when not all parties are using one. People who want Internet accessible home devices could use their personal server as a gateway rather than exposing their devices to manufacturer gateways and the associated third-party risks.

ISP anti-server clauses on residential accounts and/or port blocking (inbound 80, inbound and/or outbound 25, ...) could impede their use for certain things. A static public IP Address or portion thereof is extremely bad for privacy in contexts such as web browsing, so people would want to avoid that kind of setup. When users communicate through a third-party server, that server may beneficially obfuscate the fact that they are communicating with each other. When users communicate directly with each other's servers hanging off their ISP account, that beneficial obfuscation may be removed. Some people would want to think that type of issue through.

I briefly looked over that project's pages and like the looks of what I saw. It appears to me to be a project and mindset worth supporting :)

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Indeed, but I'd wait until it gets out of alpha stage.

6. guest

guest Guest

you can see the roadmap here
    https://arkos.io/dev/roadmap
    first beta in march

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

12 days left. They are close. I'm going to do this and get the Pi with case...forget what level that is. Thanks for this thread!

8. guest

guest Guest

I will wait a little bit more but I would recommend you buy one of these
    http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php
    are much better price/performance than Pi. But I don't know if it's compatible yet but I asked the dev and he told me that it should be in the future.

I have planned to use it for, torrent, dnla and cloud storage, vpn..., so probably the Pi won't be enough, he will add more useful features in a future.

9. guest

guest Guest

The project reach the funding goal

Some additional news about the project:
    - Hosting an arkOS Hackathon in NYC (and maybe Europe too, location TBD)
    - Research and Development for arkBox pre-packaged self-hosting hardware, a truly plug-and-play solution
    - Research and Development for Dutchman caching service (part of arkOS CONNECT) for maintaining nodes that break or fall offline
    - Extending the general development period for value-added services, helping keep the project financially sustainable well into the future

10. guest

guest Guest

New Release
    https://arkos.io/2014/02/genesis-v0-5-released/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.